Author Topic: Where can I get river cane  (Read 12747 times)

kerbinator

Where can I get river cane
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:34:37 pm »
Hello all,
I need to find a good source that I could get river can from. I live in north east Texas around the sulphur river area. Tanks for listening.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Where can I get river cane
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:29:06 pm »
You probably have river cane growing along the Sulphur River.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline xin

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:21:54 pm »
What Pat B said. If there is none along the sulfur or Sabine then  head toward Texarkana..There is river cane growing all along Hwy 82 east of Texarkana.  I've stopped and harvested several loads just along the highway.  It makes really nice arrows.

kerbinator

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 12:43:16 am »
Thanks for the reply fellas. Hope to find some soon.

Offline xin

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 01:07:15 pm »
Kerb., you're far enough into E.Tx that you're out of the phragmites and into river cane.  You should be able to find an abundant supply along the Sulfur or Sabine. If not, along highway 82 east of Texarkana.  This is the flood plain of the Red.  It's growing everywhere along the highway.  I live in Sherman and I know there is plenty of phragmites  between here and Sulfur Springs and phragmites is not as tough as river cane, but nonetheless makes serviceable arrows.

kerbinator

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 11:34:42 pm »
Xin, Does this look like the stuff. I found alot of this just down the road from me. I cut the green stuff but there was a hole lot off dry cane on the ground. This looks like it may work.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 11:49:12 pm »
Thats the Stuff....now cut me a Trash Can full...and I will come and pick it up!!!   >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 12:12:12 am »
Don't take the brown(tan) stuff as it is too far gone. You want second year growth so get the stuff that the paper like sheath has started to deteriorate or already has. The stuff with the sheaths in good shape is too immature for good arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline xin

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 04:52:18 am »
The nodes look closer together than the stuff I get, but it looks like you're in  the arrow making business.

Offline xin

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 05:01:31 am »
Relooking at the pictures, this could be phragmites cane, it's not as tough as river cane , but it does make good arrows.  When straightening, just be careful.  It's fairly tough to break river cane, but phragmites will break a lot easier.

kerbinator

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 10:47:29 pm »
I believe it is Phragmite can. It will be good practice for me since I have never done can arrows. Should be no problem given all the help ive had from yall. Thanks again.  ;D

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 11:35:42 am »
Hey Kerbinator,I was'nt to far from your neck of the woods weekend before last,openin' up the "Texas Big Nasty Hog Contest",at Pine Forest.We have both river cane and switchcane in East Texas.Sometimes it can be rather localized,but just keep your eyes peeled,you'll find plenty.Check along the rivers and creeks around your house.Like Pat said ,I cut cane with branches,you don't want the stuff with the leaf surrounding the node.That stuff is too young and will shrivel up on you. God Bless
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 08:53:33 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline comebackshane

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 01:09:22 pm »
 Kerbinator, you can go north to Paris, get on loop 286 east and then take 271 south about 8 miles.  Right before you get to a store and Post Office at Pattonville there is a rest area and a creek called Mulberry Creek (there is a sign).  Park at the rest area and walk just up the highway past the creek and you will see lots of rivercane on the south side of the road. If this is confusing let me know and I will try to explain it better or just take you.
Shane

kerbinator

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 01:03:07 am »
Thanks Shane ime only about 25 miles from Paris. Ill see if I can make it over there soon.

Offline dinorocks

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 10:40:24 am »
Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread...

I have wanted to try using river cane for some arrows but I do not have any growing in my area (cold and snowy Buffalo).  I'm currently visiting my grandparents in the Pinehurst, NC area and believe I found some river cane growing along a small creek.

Can someone help me with a few questions?

1. Based on what I read in this thread, should only harvest the cane with branches?

2. Should I be looking for a certain diameter (i.e., is this stuff strong enough that I can find ~11/32" diameter cane that would be equivalent to my 11/32" POC shafts)?

3. I do not have a spine tester...if using a 11/32" diameter section of cane, what spine weight should I expect...I'm assuming dry is stiffer than green.  I shoot a 45# and 50# selfbow and do not want to be over spined.

4. Does the cane need to be dry for making arrows, and if so, how long should it season?

5. I noticed that the cane is hollow...are there any special steps for cutting nocks and preparing the other end for a point?

Again, sorry for jumping on Kerbinator's thread...hopefully the responses will help others too!

Dino
"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow"  GD