Author Topic: hide glue stew,glue question  (Read 9021 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
hide glue stew,glue question
« on: February 10, 2009, 05:28:50 pm »
I'm in the process of my first sinew backing, everything is ready but the glue!  It's been in a slow cooker for the last 10 hours, but I'm really unsure of the consistency. How much dry rawhide scraps to how much water? in other words what concentration of hide to water should I use?  mine looks really thin , dont thik I used enough hide  (or too much water)
Also I heard that you could put the hide scraps in a food liquidiser, ? I did this , but now it looks like it is chopped too small and I want be able to filter it ,it looks really cloudy, Should I start again?
I would really appreciate some help, I cant find the info anywhere ???

by the way I used rawhide dog chews, does anyone know if these will work??

I've done lots of searches  of previous posts ,but still cant find out any detailed info on this, i heard it was in the bulletin of primitive tech. but could'nt find it there either.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:58:03 pm by dragonman »
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: hide glue stew
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 05:53:16 pm »
Never made hide glue, but I think you can let it stand for a while (after the cooking process) and the heavy stuff will settle to the bottom and the fat will rise to the top. What you want is the stuff in the middle.

I don't think it matters too much if the glue is cloudy, unless you are using it for a binder for paint or stain.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: hide glue stew,glue question
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 06:17:17 pm »
It will remain really thin as long as it is on the warmer.  You might want to get it a little warmer to dissolve, the warmer is designed to keep it thin not to make hide glue.  Keep it under 170*.  If you want to know if it is thick enough, take it off the heat for a while and see if it turns to jello. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 06:27:18 pm »
I'm thinking to start again, I get the feeling these dog chews dont make good glue? I'm gonna use some local deer hide I got last year instead. but I would still be very intereted in some imput if folks have the time, I,m really keen to finish this bow, I will post some pics when its done
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 06:31:24 pm »
Justin, Ive hade this glue at 150 degrees for 11 hrs now, should it be hotter?

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:40:26 pm »
Yuck! No offense, but it sounds like a whole bunch of work! I bet your house stinks to high heaven as well. I guess I'm not a purest, but knox gelatin or TB bottled hide glue is the route I go. It just seems like a better way to spend time!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 07:41:02 pm »
adb, no offense but that is what most people say to me about making bows.  I have better things to do with my time.  I enjoy making my glue just like I enjoy making my bows, arrows and points.

Dragonman, cutting the hide into strips  or small pieces will make it a little faster. Pour water into the pot and bring it to a low boil or simmer.  When it foams and froths for a couple of hours it is done. You might have to add a little more water to the mix to keep from getting to dry. Strain the whole mix through a piece of cloth.  You can freeze the left overs or you can dry and grind it.  If you freeze them you just warm them back up. If you dry and grind you just add warm water when you are ready to use it.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 07:49:47 pm »
I just made a big batch with unflavored rawhide dog chews Sunday .It worked out great ,throw in a pinch of lye or a bit of hardwood ashes to bind to the fats near the end.To bind to the fats and settle them to the bottom (thanks Bob )

Ralph

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:21:37 pm »
Well... you guys have fun!! ;D

jstarcher

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 11:58:48 pm »
Used dog chews a few times to make hide glue and its turned out fine each time.  You want to use the lowest heat possible to get the collagen to dissolve it makes for a stronger glue and like Ralph said throw in a pinch of lye at the end then scoop out the clotted fats.  The smaller the bits of hide are the faster they will dissolve.  Its entirely possible that it may take 10 hours based on the size of the hide.

jstarcher

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 12:02:44 am »
O almost forgot as far as concentration of water when boiling it you want to keep plenty of water in it to prevent overheating the hide.  Keep the pot pretty full with water until all the chunks are dissolved and then just lets the water steam off until you get a liquid glue mixture.  When you pull a spoon or similar item up from it you should have a strand of the mixture that pulls up with it letting you know its thick enough.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 12:55:46 am »
Who says Hide Glue Stinks??? Don't smell like a Slipping Hide does thats for sure!!! In fact...I really like the Smell of it....and it don't taste bad either....but then I don't mind chewing Sinew for wrapping Arrows or BowTips either....I even chew the Sinew and add glue in my Mouth and mix it good....then wrap the Tips with it.....you grow accustomed to the stuff!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 01:00:42 am »
Here is a picture .

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 01:04:23 am »
                                                         Wheres the Katchup!!!!      :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 01:17:22 am »
............. DINNER !! COME AN GET IT !!!!" ;D