Author Topic: Blackhaw  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Timo

Blackhaw
« on: February 16, 2009, 11:34:47 pm »
Been absent for a long time.just got re-registered today so figure I'd give a big howdydo and ask a question. I've been looking at some blackhaw trees on a farm that I hunt.Most are small as they are considered a shrub,(viburnum)but I found one that will make a bow. Curious if anyone might know the sg on this wood?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 02:23:29 pm by Timo »

Offline ozarkcherrybow

Re: Blackhaw
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:01:58 am »
Good to see you back in with us Timo. Don't know anything about Blackhaw. Are you going to make it to Ojam this year? Sure would like another taste of your wild pig again!  Terry
any stick do for bow, but good arrows are damn heap work

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 12:06:09 am »
Welcome back Timo. I have used blackhaw(Viburnun prunifolium) for arrows with good results and have eyeballed a few trunks that were big enough for bows but haven't tried it yet. You might as well give it a try. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:19:14 am »
Just had hernia surgery a week ago,so not usre on ojam.Probly won't make it this year.hate it but after I get back to work,that's all I'll be doin till I get caught back up with ....life? :)

Pat,I'll probly go cut that tree here in a couple weeks. I'll post my results.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 12:48:00 pm »
I found an old reference that listed the SG at .83, seems a little high. I've always threatened to try it, but never have.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 02:31:24 pm »
Hillbilly, I seen I had a typo up there. :-[

That 83 number was all I could find also.I to thought that was high.Maybe a great wood who knows? I rekon I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks all for the imput.