Author Topic: Tiller check please !  (Read 5432 times)

Offline John K

Re: Tiller check please !
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 11:32:59 am »
Did some scrapping on this one over the weekend, got it out to 27" shoots good, still looks like a little bit of a hinge on the right limb, but i think that knot has something to do with it. Anyways i'm going to leave it as is and sand it down and figure i'll get my 28" s once i'm done sanding.

Sorry the picture is a little blurry, but it's hard pulling it back and trying to take a picture  :D

JohnK
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 12:07:56 pm »
Hard to say for sure but I agree that the right limb doesn't look right ??? Have you shot it much yet, if so do you see any frets or
more set in the right limb than the left? Also how long is it nock to nock, the string angle looks like its at 90 degrees so I expect there is some stacking.
I still think a eliptical tiller would have better suited this bow. Not knocking yer bow John just offering my opinion and hell I'm probably wrong anyway ;)
If its stable and shoots an arrow and your happy than go forth and have fun eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline John K

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 12:34:34 pm »
Dana, It's 68" ntn the right limb took about 1/2" more set than the left. I haven't shot it much since it's a left handed bow, but i was shooting it yesterday right handed with a glove on. I'm going to finish it up. Give it to my Uncle and let him shoot it. If nothing else it will look good hanging on his wall and i can start another one for him, he lets me cut trees down on his land  ;D

Thanks for the input.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 12:43:08 pm »
John you could try flippin the tips a little that will help with the string angle. And yup there's always another bow waiting to be built :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline John K

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 03:16:29 pm »
Full draw pic. 45 @ 27"

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 04:00:43 pm »
Nice Bow John....it does look a bit off on the one Limb....but if you are happy with it....and it is shooting good....shoot it!! One Question though.....Why such a big Handle area? could make it less and get more Limb moving with the same design....just a thought.... O:)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline John K

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 04:09:56 pm »
Thanks Mike, Not sure why the handle turned out so big  ??? One of those learning things i guess  :D

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 06:10:03 pm »
I like it John. Good job! I like the oversized handle too. It could give you a natural overdraw. ;)
Kenneth Hughes

nickf

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 06:11:42 pm »
that's a fine bow John! You did correct the tiller very well, and since there's still this slight hinge, you probably kept some drawweight. Well done ;)

you may want to get that hinge totally out, and temper it to regain some drawweight?

a tip on the handle, just make the handle itself 4-5" long, and the fades 2". this is big enough for your hand, and tiny enough to absorb alot of stress ;)

for some reasons long handles seem to add stability tho, but if you go for long handles, you probably want to make the bow a little longer too :)

Nick

Offline Jesse

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 06:21:10 pm »
Good job John looks much better :) Bet its fun to shoot.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline John K

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 06:54:09 pm »
Thanks Guys. I only shot it a few times. It is for my Uncle and he's left handed, so i was shooting it right handed of the knuckle. I thought it shot good. I give it to him this Sunday, will see how he likes it......

Thanks !  John

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 08:02:12 pm »
Looks good John, get yer Uncle to pose for a picture, tell him its mandatory ;) :)

Manistique, MI

Offline John K

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 10:35:57 am »
I'll get that "south paw" to pose for a photo.  :D