Author Topic: takedown bow idea  (Read 2362 times)

Juniper_newbie

takedown bow idea
« on: February 23, 2009, 02:20:35 pm »
Hi everyone,
Ive started working on a takedown bow made from hickory with a black walnut handle and I wanted to bounce my plan off of you guys and see if you had any thoughts before I got started. My plan is to begin with my hickory board and glue a piece of blackwalnut on for the handle riser Im going to make this piece an 1 1/2" longer than the actual handle length because my plan is to cut the handle section in half and cut a dovetail joint in the handle section to join the two handle sections after they have been joined I'm planning two drill a 1/2" hole through the side of the handle section where a 1/2" oak pin can be inserted Im planning on wrapping the handle when it would be in use with a heavy twine similiar to some butanese take down bows I had read about. I would appreciate any thoughts or advice on this idea and I will try to talk my girlfriend into taking pictures after I get started so you can see how it goes. Thanks

Offline Kegan

Re: takedown bow idea
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 02:29:31 pm »
From the sound it seems like a good idea- the wood working being the onyl limiiting factor. But I've yet to make a take down that works :-X!

Offline stiknstring

Re: takedown bow idea
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 03:42:18 pm »
I have made DOZENS of takedowns....all involuntarily  ;D