Author Topic: HIS AND HERS BOO BACKED IPE  (Read 18801 times)

nickf

Re: HIS AND HERS BOO BACKED IPE
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 01:41:11 pm »
I love those bows man! especially yours! gorgeous profile and handle, well done!
my first bbi is now in the make and it doesn't look nearly as beautyfull as yours ;)

Nick

Offline Jesse

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 03:04:53 pm »
Thank you very much Brownhillboy. Thanks Nickf yours will look great just put a little TLC into it. Cooper thanks. I was going to use your handle wrap design because I really like it but I didnt have the right leather for it. Maybe later I will add it to mine.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 04:51:53 pm »
jesse, one question: is the R/D's centerlam tapered or parallel?? couldn't find that in the text
thanks, f.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Jesse

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 08:10:48 pm »
jesse, one question: is the R/D's centerlam tapered or parallel?? couldn't find that in the text
thanks, f.

Its parallel. A little under 1/8" thick all the way and very thin bamboo. The ipe got very thin but It can take a lot. If I make another I will use a tapered center to eliminate the possibility of getting to thin on the belly although the way I did it made for super light weight outer limbs.
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline adb

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 09:58:26 pm »
WOW!!! Those are just a super pair of bows. My wife also shoots with me, and I feel very lucky for it. I'm glad your wife shares your interest. Well done!

tradrick

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 08:47:08 am »
Super nice bows.You should do a build along.Very smooth and clean.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 10:41:58 am »
Thanks adb. Yeah I am blessed with a great wife that likes me to make bows and she likes working on them a bit too though she hasn't made one yet. She is really good at pointing out spots that need work ;D Its so much more fun when we get to shoot together.
Super nice bows.You should do a build along.Very smooth and clean.
Thanks tradrick I did a build along on one about a year back which showed how I stumbled through it ;D  I am not a pro to be teaching but I might do another because it helps me learn when people see how I'm doing things and say hey that's not the best way. The people on here are full of little tips and tricks to help out.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:21:57 pm by Jesse-S »
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 12:02:14 pm »
Great pair of bows, Jesse-both look excellent. Love that silhouette sunset full-draw photo,too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 09:39:15 pm »
Thanks for the compliment Hillbilly.
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 05:13:26 pm »
beautifull elegant bows  , I really like the design of the r/d with the fancy handle, I'm inspired to make  another boo bkd ipe
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline DanaM

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 07:33:11 am »
Jesse  wife and I will be stopping in on March 13th, you going to watch Bo for us? :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline BearG

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2009, 09:29:19 am »
Great looking bows Jesse.  Hope to see you at the Classic
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2009, 11:51:49 am »
No problem Dana drop Bo off for a week if you want. See ya then.
Great looking bows Jesse.  Hope to see you at the Classic

Thanks Bear. It should be another good time.
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline chep

• TraditionalArcher.org Traditional archery and traditional bowhunting forum
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2009, 01:14:48 pm »
Jesse,
Impressive work. A friend of mine makes a lot of IPE English D longbows and those two you got there look great as well. That style you applied looks good. I really like that IPE wood. In fact I would like to attempt my second bow from IPE and Vine Maple in an English D style longbow.

Can you tell me if that is a natural back set to the tips or did you apply some special work to get that? I know IPE is a strong wood from handling it a bit and was wondering what you did to come up with that.

Thanks,
Chep

Offline Jesse

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 02:11:49 pm »
Jesse,
Impressive work. A friend of mine makes a lot of IPE English D longbows and those two you got there look great as well. That style you applied looks good. I really like that IPE wood. In fact I would like to attempt my second bow from IPE and Vine Maple in an English D style longbow.

Can you tell me if that is a natural back set to the tips or did you apply some special work to get that? I know IPE is a strong wood from handling it a bit and was wondering what you did to come up with that.

Thanks,
Chep
Thanks Chep All pieces start out straight. They are glued together and formed into the curved shape while the glue its still wet. Let the glue dry and it holds the shape.
Here is a pic to help explain.
    --Frank A. Clark