Author Topic: what would you bring?  (Read 25239 times)

Ian Johnson

what would you bring?
« on: February 25, 2009, 03:50:56 pm »
after reading huntertrappers story and the thread on survivorman it got me thinking about what I would bring in a survival situation for an extended period of time if I had to choose just 10 items not including the clothes on my back and a pack to carry it in
1.- sheath knife
2.- axe
3.- rain poncho
4.- wool blanket
5.- steel broadheads(I can make the bow and the arrows and flint might not be available)
6.- fire piston(primitive lighter)
7.- rope
8.- fishing kit
9.- snare wire
10.- savage crack barrel combo gun with 12ga\22mag barrels(if god forbid my bow breaks and I cant make another one) with plenty of ammo

so what would you bring?

Offline yazoo

Re: what would you bring?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 04:07:15 pm »
1.  knife
2.  small gill net
3.  pack of lighters
4.  broadheads, and bow string
5.  fishing kit
6.  snare wire
7.  rope
8.  1 henry rifle ,that goes in the stock,22cal,bullets
9.  1 pound of salt
10, cooking pot

this would keep me going for a long time
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 04:36:57 pm »
It seems to me when you find yourself in a survival situation, you dont have much choice over what you have with you, such as a plane going down or a ship sinking, a building collapsing on you, etc. I recall my brother's boy scout troop not showing up to the camp; long hike, a couple of parents who went along couldn't keep the right pace, and the search and rescue guys were notified. The kids had to spend the night on the trail with only what they had with them, no packs, no jackets, etc. The point being a life and death situation like a true survival situation is not something you look for, but have to deal with then and there.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 05:37:19 pm »
Dane, those were my thoughts. When that survival situation comes about your brain and self control are as important as anything. You will have to use what is available at that point. Water, fire and shelter are critical.
   When I went to Colorado of a back pack elk hunt I carried survival stuff just in case....
   3 different fire starter methods, space blanket, water purifier tablets and water filter pump filter, meds(aspirin, Imodium, Epi pen[for insect bite allergies]), bandages, mole skin, energy food and a few other things that don't come to mind now.
   One should always be ready for anything when you are in a situation that could turn to life or death. Fire, shelter and water are the most important things. A blade of some kind is nice to have and a weapon of some sort. Bow and arrow are not the best for getting food. Traps and snares are probably more effective. Knowledge of the flora and fauna of the area you will be in can also come in handy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 05:46:13 pm »
Thanks Pat. I agree, how you think and how you face situations of extreme stress probably are your best weapons. Try to be ready, but you never know until you find yourself in that kind of situation. Fire, water, shelter, the rest can follow. But what about extreme situations, such as the arctic or the Brazilian jungles? Probably you have much less time to even orient yourself, and nature can be far harsher than many folks today realize. Fliers in WWII were told if they went down over the Brazilian jungle they were good as dead, and rescue was just not an option. I read a story about a rescue attempt of a pilot in New Guinea (my dad's mother's brother was part of that rescue), and within a week, they men's clothing was rotting off them, and their weapons had rusted to the point of uselessness.

If you have spend time in the desert, you know how bitterly cold it gets at night. Knowledge is power in this case.

Probably retaining body heat and protection against the elements is critical in any environment. People can go insane from exposure to the sun after ships sink, for instance.

Oh, a good story to read is by Jack London, "To Build a Fire."

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline yazoo

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 06:46:19 pm »
you guys are over thinking the question ???  no what ifs   the question is what 10 items would you choose if you could for a survival situation?
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 06:55:57 pm »
satellite phone,gps,lighter,gill net,snare wire,,rain suit,kabar knife,space blanket,pot and the wife(someones gotta cook for me)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

GlassKnapper

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:09:13 pm »
Fixed blade
Axe
Lighter
10x10 nylon/canvas tarp
Smaller coffee can with the lid
Fire steel
Fishing kit
Extra socks
Bandanna
First Aid kit
 *in substitution of the axe depending on location I would bring another water carrying device

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 07:41:53 pm »
 bow, arrows, rifle, tomohawk,pistol, extra knives, ammunition, wife ,rope.... This way I can kill anything I need... have the rope to hang it up.. and the wife to cook it... life would be good.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 07:48:54 pm »
 I'd travel light, .410 shotgun, With shells, Magnesium stick, pocket knife, tomahawk, and water filter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 07:51:58 pm »
A filleting knife and a can of SPAM!!!  :o ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 07:54:31 pm »
KaBar. Lighter. Parachute cord. Hatchet. Longbow and good arrows. Something like a coat or blanket for at night (or just good clothes).

I could make do with less. But that stuff would make it more like a fun camping trip... until I get hungry :D!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 08:25:19 pm »
I'm with Mullet, except the gun would be a .22 rifle.  I can carry alot more .22 shells than I can 410's, with a greater range. 
  My grandpa used to say you can kill anything with a .22.  I've tried it on most small game (and some big)  :o and it works. >:D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

GlassKnapper

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 08:31:03 pm »
Not to be a Debby Downer but in a survival situation there's alot of things that would be handy besides meat takers, after all if its a survival situation your life is on the line, but man a gun would be icing on the cake  ;D, + you got ten things to choose from!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 08:36:46 pm »
 Sawfiler, I'll change that. I'll take my 22/.410  over and under instead. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?