Author Topic: about sinew bow string  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Blacktail

about sinew bow string
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:28:02 pm »
on the how-to section i found a topic on making the sinew bow string.but i dont really understand how to make the loop on one end.can any one help me with this...thanks john

Offline billy

Re: about sinew bow string
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:10:37 am »
Hey blacktail,

I've made several sinew bowstrings.  When I make my loops, I just make a plaited loop for the top loop.  It's illustrated on pg 223 of the Bowyers Bible, Vol. 2.  The bottom loop you can just make with several half-hitches, but I prefer something not so permanent because sinew strings will stretch in high humidity, so they sometimes need adjustment. 

I use leg sinew for my bowstrings, but I had a friend tell me that back sinew works much better and you can make a string much faster with back sinew because you don't have to make nearly as many splices.  Leg sinew bowstrings usually take me 2 hours to make (sometimes more, depending on length), but that's also because I chew every bit of sinew before I twist it into the string.  It would be much faster if I made them from dry sinew, but I prefer chewing it because it activates the natural glues and makes for a more cohesive string.  Although when my chewed sinew strings finally dry, they are really stiff and somewhat unwieldy until they break in.  That makes tying knots  a challenge.  Hope that helps.  If you have any more questions just send me a PM.

Billy   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:04:57 pm »
hey thanks billy.i will look into it...i don't know why but string making is really confusing for me.thanks john

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 11:26:59 pm »
Watch this video, and look up "cordage" on youtube.

---http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o2qhN1qCdg
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr