Author Topic: N.C. to allow Sunday bowhunting for Deer on private land  (Read 8041 times)

Offline Hardawaypoints

N.C. to allow Sunday bowhunting for Deer on private land
« on: March 09, 2009, 12:23:26 pm »
I spoke with some game wardens at this past weekend's Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh, and they confirmed that bowhunting for Deer will be allowed on private land during the hunting season.  They also informed me that crossbows will be legal to hunt with.  The regulations will be posted July 1, 2009.  Hard to imagine being able to hunt both weekend days.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: N.C. to allow Sunday bowhunting for Deer on private land
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 12:29:55 pm »
Seems strange to me,we have always been able to hunt on Sunday. They must be getting like most places,to many deer. :) I don't hunt on Sunday much anymore but it is nice to know you can if the need arises. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 12:30:37 pm »
Jim, I just heard that a few days ago. Hard to believe.  A few years ago at one of the DNR meetings one official said he didn't think it would ever happen. He said it would be political suicide for any politicain to even suggest it.   I guess the survey they put out a year or so ago must have paid off.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:56:34 pm »
Never heard of anything like this.....must be part of the Old Blue Laws or something.....have always been able to Hunt 7 days a week during Hunting Season here in Texas....and back Home in Michigan.... I know that when I first moved to Texas....you couldn't buy Music...Cars....Booze or Clothing on a Sunday
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:10:22 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 04:19:06 pm »
There are still some dry Counties here where you flat out can't buy alcohol on ANY day.  It is remarkable that any kind of hunting is allowed on Sunday here.  The deer herd is getting bigger and the only way to help keep them in check is to allow bowhunting on Sundays.  I also plan to take advantage of the crossbow to hunt with.  Since the wreck I was in on 4-21-07, I haven't been able to draw any bow. The surgery I had last month should help, but it is unknown if I will ever be able to hold one back.  A crossbow is kind of cheating compared to a regular bow, though I would take any measure to be able to deer hunt again before the gun hunters hit the woods.  I was used to using up a couple of tags during archery, now I get to go again.  I'm sure my wife will be thrilled just so she doesn't have to listen to me b!%@# about not getting to go.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 08:12:19 pm »
No hunting on Sundays seem prety ignorant to me, would be a hard law for me to obey. Glad it is geting fixed.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 09:21:03 pm »
  I never have understood the "hunting on Sunday" law, unless it cut into the Collection plate during Hunting Season. Same goes with the "no buying alcohol on Sunday's". It's hard to comment on this without violating the religion or politic's rule. I know I was chapped when I flew to Penn. to hunt turkey's, opening morning, to find out that I couldn't hunt the next day because it was Sunday.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 11:19:56 pm »
Wow.. I have never heard of such a thing... our seasons open on one date and end on another... simple as that.. hope this works out for you brother... happy hunting Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:37:57 pm »
here in penn. its illegal to hunt on sundays except for trapping and i believe predator hunting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 12:32:54 am »
Jim, in most states you can get a permit to hunt with a crossbow with a doctors note. I have no problem with others hunting with crossbows. It's just not for me. If I couldn't draw a bow I'd use a crossbow.
   I have seen(lived with) these blue laws all my life living in GA, SC and NC. Sunday hunting has always been allowed in GA and SC but there are still dry counties in all three states where no alcohol sales at all in some or on Sundays in others. I never got it either but the (censored) somehow always get their way.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 08:35:03 am »
Hunting sundays in Mo. hasnt been a problem that I can recall,but crossbows can only be used during gun season here.
laugh. its good for ya