Author Topic: worm holes in osage  (Read 2246 times)

Offline d frana

worm holes in osage
« on: March 11, 2009, 04:24:48 pm »
I have a couple of osage staves, nice thick growth rings, straight, but the worms must have been really hungry, cause some of the worm holes go way into the heartwood so far that I can't get rid of them and still have working limbs.  Will sinew or some othe
type of backing save the bow?

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: worm holes in osage
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 04:37:21 pm »
i made a nice osage bow that had 2 worm holes all the way through from back to belly. they didnt seem to effect it too much and one day a tiny splinter lifted up from one so i glued it down with titebond 3 and wrapped both of them in sinew and coated the sinew with glue as well, it has not given me a single problem since. the 2nd hole never splintered but i wrapped it for good measure.
    you should be just fine if you wrap the limbs with sinew just over the holes and 3/4 inch above and below the hole.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 05:28:10 pm »
I have also used Osage with Holes....it seems that if they go straight in they don't bother the Limb as much as if the go through on an Angle....I would Back it just the same....use a thin Rawhide....Like Goat or deer to back it with....should be just fine......JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:47:08 pm »
What about filling the holes with  super glue or epoxy, I have some oak that I left the bark on, I have worm holes going towards the belly and some tracks in the back. I was going to try filling them. or can I get by without.
VB

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 12:45:14 am »
I made a bow from osage that was full of worm holes. I filled the holes with a slurry made from superglue and sawdust. It worked beautifully and that bow is still shooting today.
Gordon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 05:45:33 am »
I've done the same as Gordon with no problems. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 02:48:06 pm »
I've used the dutchman's plug method also with good results, TB3 and fine sawdust. The sinew wrap and rawhide is is also effective choices. Just depends on what you want.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956