Author Topic: First Boo/Ipe  (Read 7830 times)

whitewoodshunter

First Boo/Ipe
« on: March 15, 2009, 04:48:20 pm »
After seeing so many Boo/Ipe bow on this site and others,I decided it was time for me to give one a try, I was not disappointed.After reading as much as a could on this combination, I contacted Rich Saffold ,and in short oder I had a piece of Ipe and a piece of bamboo on the way.Well lets get right to the bow! The bow turned out 68 inches tip to tip and 58# @ 26.It fades from .75 wide at the grip to 3/8 tips.The stave was a little over an inch wide when it came out of the jig and could not be bent, it was as flexible as a 6 foot piece of telephone pole!The limb thickness goes from a little over a half inch at the grip to .25 at the tips.The style was a hybrid, English "D" style with reflex/ deflex.The glue up was done with TTB3 and bicycle inner tubes as clamps.The bow holds 1.75 of 2 inches of reflex after shooting and unstringing. The bow shoots fast and very accurate with no stack, kick, or handshock. The backing was giant yellow bamboo Ipe core, and bubinga and osage tip overlays.The arrow rest is a small floppy rest. The finish is mini wax wipe on poly.I shot a 600 grain arrow out of this bow through a chronograph at a local  bow shop and was getting speeds of 180- 185! Not bad for my first boo/ Ipe composite, and there will be many more in the future!!! Enjoy

Unstrung

Strung

Full Draw

Tips

Grip

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: First Boo/Ipe
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 05:11:41 pm »
Wow brother, that looks like an elk slaying tool for sure... if you come out this year bring her with you and we will slay some bunnies and prarie dogs.. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

nickf

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 06:57:10 pm »
that's a nice one you made there!
180-185 fps,,, I'm impressed man!
boo-ipe is an awesome combination :)

Nick

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 07:03:02 pm »
Great looking bow. I've been out working on my first BBI today, too-hope it turns out that nice. Looks like a good trout and smallmouth spot behind you there, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 08:07:14 pm »
Nice looking bow.Great job on the tips.Sounds, and looks like ya done yourself proud.

Looks like the Buffalo river in the background.

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:41:46 pm »
The water in the background is the mouth of Millcreek where it runs into the Clarion river, I was scouting for turkeys an, trout, and stump shooting.It was a great day for it here in PA it was 70 degrees.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 10:38:51 pm »
 :oThat came out nice. Im very impressed with the speed your getting. I think anything over 170 is fast. 185 is smokin. :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 09:46:36 am »
Nice looking bow, and very impressive speed...espeacially with a 26" draw length!  Good job! :)
south central VA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 10:36:48 am »
Very nice bow,I have a piece of Ipe,and some boo,I may get some of you guy to show me the ins and outs of putting one together at the Classic.Never build one before but after seeing this one and several more on here I might have to give it a try.Very nice job and some impressive speed. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 10:57:12 am »
Looks like a keeper to me :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 05:18:45 pm »
thanks for the replies guys. I really love this bow!!!!!

tradrick

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 06:04:42 pm »
Very nice,.75''at the fades,man thats narrow.That Ipe must sure be strong stuff.Congrats on a great bow.Tradrick

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 09:35:18 pm »
From what I understand any wider isn't necessary unless you want a flatbow or an English longbow of 80 - 100 lbs.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 09:49:37 pm »
From what I understand any wider isn't necessary unless you want a flatbow or an English longbow of 80 - 100 lbs.
If you make a r/d bow it would be highly unstable at 3/4" wide. Thats my experience. Again that is really impressive speed. I never would have guessed it would shoot that fast at over 10 grains per pound and only a 26" draw. That must be a special board or something ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 10:38:38 pm »
Talk to Rich Saffold. He has made some that shoot even faster. He has one that is 9 years old, still has its same r/d shape and shoots in the high 190's?????