Author Topic: first arrowhead from glass  (Read 5043 times)

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
first arrowhead from glass
« on: March 20, 2009, 12:57:46 am »
i made this point aug. of last year. i did the pressure flaking with a nail in a large dowel, is this why my flakes arent long. should i invest in antler and/or copper ishi stick? i have made probably 15 or so and have had one flake reach over 1/4" long, cant take the flat off of glass heads. i live just over 5 hours from glass buttes and am planning a trip there sometime this summer with my son. any advice is much appreciated.

thank you
Dustin D

*edit*
oops forgot the img link

*/edit*
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 02:52:16 pm by DustinDees »
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: first arrowhead from glass
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:16:35 am »
DD:  Look in the phone book for Ed Neal.  He lives in Yakama and can help you with materials and knowledge.  Tell him Joe York told you to call him!!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 02:53:27 pm »
right on. thank you very much. ive been wondering how to get started, where to get mats and so forth.

thank you again.
Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 04:01:35 pm »
is there any way to get ahold of him online. i found one Ed Neal nearby in WA but no information was listed for him. i would really love to spend some time to just sit and learn. there is a knapp-in about 40 miles from here in goldendale n a month im going to go to but im only going to get one day to hang out and learn.

thank you
Dustin D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:50:38 pm »
Go to the galss buttes knap in you will meet many folks willing to help, but in the mean time go to home depot and but a foot of stiff copper
ground wire, I think its #4 pound it to a point and stick a handle on it and viola a pressure flaker. Or use an antler tine. Watch videos on you tube, I lots of good ones on there. Happy Knappin eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 04:34:04 am »
thank you very much. i figured i needed something softer once i started flaking a piece of flint i have (think its flint) the coolest thing about it was the sparks that came when the flake lets loose. keep getting step fractures, think the copper will help that. dont have the means nor the money to make it to glass buttes but i am going to goldendale knap in next month. its only 40 min opposed to 6+ hours to the buttes. thank you again.

Dustin D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 09:12:23 am »
That'll be the best thing for you Dustin "knap-ins". Getting those flakes to travel far is all about prep and angle as you'll see - whether it be percussion or pressure.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 01:04:41 pm »
Dustin:  Not trying to be pushy, but if you would like I will send you a beginning knapping kit free of charge.  It will contain a modern Ishi stick, pressure flaker, elk horn billet, some extra copper, some horn tines, and hand pad.  Don't have much in the way of preforms now as its been cold in my shop and that makes for poor knapping conditions.  You live in an area of lots of different agate and jasper quarries so eventually you will have access to some quality materials.  Going to watch others knap will really help.  If you are interested in my offer please send me your mailing address via personal message!  Joe

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 02:23:29 pm »
Thank you for all the replies everyone, and thank you for the offer Joe. sent a PM.

Dustin D.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 01:34:28 pm »
Dustin:  Finished making up the knapping kit I promised you.  Hope to get it in the mail tommorow if we get to town!  Take a look at Cowboy's "making a dalton" and you will get an idea of what you need to learn.  You won't have the tough material he has to work with, but some of the agates and jaspers in your area will do just fine!  Joe