Author Topic: Osage splice Kreeking  (Read 3155 times)

AKAPK

Osage splice Kreeking
« on: March 22, 2009, 05:08:36 pm »
I got My osage Billets spliced But now That I started tillering It's Kreeking in the splice I guess that means a 2 piece Eh?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:46:06 am by AKAPK »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Osage splice Kreeking
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 05:45:11 pm »
You might be able to glue a piece of wood on front and back, then wrap the bejeezus out of the part that will be under the handle wrap with string and glue.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

AKAPK

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:45:14 am »
I went Ahead and tillered the bow to 55 @ 28 then heated the splice and pulled it apart since the middle of the splice was not straight ,thats where the friction was I just cut it out. i was thinking of gluing an other piece of wood in the middle just to suport the outer part of the splice  straighten the crooked finger and clamp it back together it should be a tite fit with no gaps. Cutting those splices by hand is a bit difficult.
I used TB3 for the first glue up I guess I will do the same this time,just let it set a few days longer.
I like the Osage, i think i will try a whole stave next time though.
 By the way how would the primitives had spliced a bow?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:55:56 am by AKAPK »

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:31:13 am »
I would definitely glue on a back piece and fill that gap. Might even pin it w/ dowel depending on the strength of the splice. Try getting some urac 185 or something similar. I've used TBIII on really good fits and the other on anything else. I wonder if a cordage type handle wrap would even help? Good luck.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

AKAPK

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 04:47:36 am »
Gotter glued back together and put like a dutchman in the middle I was thinking about wrapping it with the Linen String I got the other day,I seem to keep finding these things at the Antique store ,Pretty strong stuff and I got a softball size ball of it, re-wrapped it on   b-50 spools and got 2 spools and a smaller spool ,guess I better Try some Linen strings and backing too, but on the maple bow i'm workin on, that make 4 bows I'm working on 2 from the antique store, the Osage and a maple.can't wait to see how this thing shoots,show ya pics when finished.
other than that I think the fix will work, I think the string Idea will work Hillbilly and thanks Tracy for the suggestion.PKBowaholic

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 11:49:12 am »
Primitives might have just overlapped the limbs and lashed the two pieces together.  Though I don't think I've seen any actual Native American examples of this.  That is how bows are still made in Bhutan.

Ancient Asian bows are made of several pieces of wood/bone/horn and are glued together in a fashion that makes our simple splices look primitive.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO