Author Topic: blew up another board bow today!!!  (Read 3134 times)

Shooter_G22

blew up another board bow today!!!
« on: March 22, 2009, 08:15:01 pm »
well people,

a couple of days ago i recieved a phone call from one of my little cousins that used to be in the Dirty Dawgs out doors team...  he has since then growed up and has graduated high school and has started working with his father in his fathers company and has recantly started his family and is a new father of a beautiful little boy that is a jr.. named after himself...   well now with being a new dad and woirking all the time and moving into his own place with his new family he hasnt really had time to visit and or do any of the activities that he has always dont with the team the past 3 1/2 -4 yrs...   

but how ever he did stop in a few weeks to a couple of months ago and me and some of the other yonger boys were working on Pa stuff and he was like what is all this we never did this when i was on the team... :D :D ;)

and im like yeah were starting to spread out or traingin and getting into a few other things...  well he had never done archery and some of the other boys on the team started to quickly show him the ropes around a bow and got him to shooting at some targets for the breif time he was over o his visit...

well he called me a few days ago and asked me where he could buy one of those bows for a good price becuase since he shot those arrows at that target he couldnt stop thinking that he need to train and learn how to get better with a bow and was bitten by the bow fever bug..!!   :o

and was asking me about where he could ge a  ow and arrow set becuase he had been looking at ebay and told me that they were way to high for him to buy one with the baby and all... soo i told him hell we are in the process of trying to build some up righ now and i told him for about 10 bucks we could go to lowes and get him an oak board and try to get wone built up this week end i told him if we go with a long thin design we should be able to get one built up fairly easy...

well we went with a design of about 69" tip to tip and 67"novk to nock...   got it all finised up and tillered to a 29' draw..  i dont have a bow scale but i would think it was around 40# or soo... 
i was really happy with it and i had it srung up and pulled at full draw of 30" to make sure it would be ok for his 29" draw and then i was going to take it off the tiller stand to cut a parcord string for it and have him start shooting it in befor he did all the final sanding and finishing and handle wrap i was going to let him finish all that at home by himself... we worked on the bow togather i did one side and he did the other side and i coached him through and helped him out with the little details and explained tiller to hima dn would show him how and he would do a little bit and then i would do the rest soo he would feel like he was a big part of building his own bow and he was...

any how i atrted to flex the bow strung up on the tiller tree and told him well its done we have nothing letft to do but break her in and then i told him wow... im glad it worked out and then i flexed it a few more time on the tillerstand and then BLAMBLOWWEEE... it blows up in my face... snaped in two ounded like a shot gun... :o

i couldnt believe it...  and i told him ...  and thats how you blow up a bow...

i turned to look at him and i could almost see a tear in his eye...   i know he was really excited and thought he was going to take his bow back home and show his wife'  look at what me and Abel made...   she had been calling him to see how it was going and he had been telling here yeah were actually making it....   i could hear her voice saying something and then he would replie out of wood... noo out of wood we got from lowes...  yeah...  yeah it will work... its almost done...  lol...

man i felt sooo bad i mean it was already done and i was about to take it off the tiller and tell him to take it out side and start shooting it...   man...
it was a shock when it blowed up... :o

anyways i got some pics of the couple of pieces and i will down load hem off my phone and post them up later...
sorry for the book but just had to tell somebody..lol...

Offline ryanfromcanada

Re: blew up another board bow today!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:58:19 pm »
that really sucks. time to start again i guess. i'm sure im going blow up the first couple  make

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 09:45:10 pm »
That's too bad. Was it straight grained? There's board info on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 10:51:14 pm »
Bummer Abel. Well you got that ipe right? Better start another :). I think it can be a gamble working with boards from lowes. You don't really know how the wood was treated before you bought it.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Shooter_G22

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 01:29:08 am »
here are some pics this is my cousin Fernando... with his broken bow...
(although he looks older he is only 18 or might be 19 now.. not sure)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shooter_G22

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:43:52 am »
Fernando's older brother also served in the Marine Corps 2 tours in Irac...  was Shot in the back trying to get back on to a 5 ton truck under a fire fight...  (Dont worry he survived... much like me never went out on patrol with out his plates on) lol...  :D 
Fernado wanted to also join the Marine Corps... after much lecture and baby mommy's tears we convinced him that our family has done our part for this country and especialy his family has sufferd much loss with his other oldest brother being killed in a car jacking here in the streets of dallas while at a pay phone...   soo him being the baby brother of three we told him it would take 9 surgions to get my  boot out of his ass if he joined and left his baby' to be raised with out a father...!    ( beside his other older brother told him that he has served and done enough fighting for all three of them )  i think he is in the clear and hopefully wont join up into the Marine Corps but he is in night colledge and wants to go into law enforcement...  ::)   i guess we cant tell him nothing there...lol..

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 01:48:30 am »
how about some close ups of the break,i am guessing grain run off
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Shooter_G22

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 01:54:26 am »
close ups