Author Topic: cedar curing  (Read 3381 times)

primate

cedar curing
« on: March 23, 2009, 01:36:42 pm »
im new here and i have a few questions. i will tell u that i have made a few bows all of hickory and they have turned out quite nice. but i have the itch to make a western style bow from cedar. my question is how lon to dry out and which part to use. my hickory bows i take to almost floor tiller and thentie down to dry usually about a month or less. i cut a cedar two days ago ad split it. thats all ive done. should i take it to bow shape or what. can anyone help.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: cedar curing
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:43:52 pm »
First off, what cedar are you using. Eastern Red Cedar(Juniperus virginiana) will dry relatively quick, lots quicker than hickory.IMO
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

primate

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:50:13 pm »
eastern red cedar i live in waxhaw nc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:53:30 pm »
You can make a bow from the sapwood, sapwood/heartwood combo or just the heartwood but I would back the all heartwood bow. Hickory makes an excellent backing for ERC.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

primate

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 01:56:25 pm »
i plan on sinewing this bow can i stiill use all sapwood or shourd i just use heartwood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 05:08:16 pm »
I believe you can use either but not both. ???   I have heard sinew will pull the sapwood off of the heartwood. I don't know this as a fact!...but I do have a 49" ERC sap/heart stave I want to sinew. When I get around to it, I'll let you know how it works. In the mean time, when you're done with yours, I want to know how it went.  ;)

primate

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 06:51:46 pm »
i think ill try it both ways. you can only learn by doing. thanks

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 08:57:03 pm »
Primate-
I just finished sinewing an all heartwood ERC.  I chased it down to a single ring, then sinewed.  I did two layers, than let that dry, followed by two more layers.  Before I had a chance to wrap the tips. (While the first two layers dried)  The sinew had pulled up with one ring of wood for about 4" on one limb.  So I would recommend wrapping you tips right away.
Traverse City, MI

primate

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 09:07:29 pm »
thanks good advice ill remember it

primate

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 09:18:40 pm »
anyone care to tell me how many courses of sinew i should use. and is leg better than back for this type of bow. how many legs/backs? thanks

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 11:17:49 pm »
The stave I sinewed was 58" long and 1 7/8" wide at mid limb.  I used 3 layers over the whole back and one layer crowning the back using backstrap sinew.  I've read that some prefer leg over backstrap, but I've also read the opposite.  So I would use whatever you can get.  I think it took me about 7- 8 backstrap.  I didn't really keep track and I have some processed stuff left over. 
Traverse City, MI