Author Topic: Do Snake Skins Protect Back??  (Read 5131 times)

Offline Staver

Do Snake Skins Protect Back??
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:31:25 pm »
I'm finishing up my first recurve bow made of osage.  It has fairly thin rings and the back's ring is less than 1/8".  I was just wondering... Do snake skins offer any protection to the bows back?? ??? ??? ???  Joe H

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Do Snake Skins Protect Back??
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:44:39 pm »
No!! ;D  But they sure are nice to look at!!

Offline Staver

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 07:46:31 pm »
Thought so :-[ ;D

Thanks knightd

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 07:53:01 pm »
What are trying to protect, a splinter from lifting? If you had sinew it would protect that from moisture.

Offline Staver

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 08:00:57 pm »
Whitewoodshunter:  The bows back seems a little thin.  There's no splinters or anything to make me think that there is a potential problem.  I know snake skins look cool and provide good camo, but I wasn't so sure that adding snake skins would give the bow added protection.  I realize sinew and things like rawhide, silk, or bamboo provide tension strength, but it didn't seem to me that snake skin would add anything because they're soo thin.  I was just wondering if I was right in thinkin that.  Thanks ;D ;D  Joe H

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 08:39:11 pm »
Rattler...Water Moc...or Rat Snakes don't help....but Python sure does....don't let anyone tell you any different either...... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 08:58:36 pm »
python thats gotta be like raw hide if its from a decent sized snake
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 09:16:19 pm »
yeah but with pythons you should be able to get 2-3 bows from one skin instead of 2-3 skins per bow ;D.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:17:17 pm »
 Pythons, Boas, Anaconda and Big Eastern Diamondback Rattlers. They are all tough.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Shooter_G22

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:44:22 pm »
staver,

if you have some snake skins and you have enough to back the bow your working on but want to also have some kind of backing protection then you could do something like put a bunch of coats of Tightbond III or even an epoxy glue coats and then put the skins over that...   i dont know by experiance but i think that should give some kind of protection...  or even do something like a Tightbond III and lining and then a couple more TB coats and then the skins and you should have some good protection then...   dont know how it would work but thats probably how i would attempt to do that... ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 12:18:45 am »
Add rawhide first for protection then the skins over that. TBIII will work fine for both.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 04:06:06 am »
Titebond will work great for adhering the Rawhide or the Snake Skin...but to just put coat after coat of the Glue for a Backing....this is recipe for disaster....the Glue will just crack ...not having anything to Bond to but itself....either do like Pat said...or use Linen or silk ....then the Skins...JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Staver

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 09:26:40 am »
Thanks for all the great advise everyone! ;D

I'm pretty confident that the ring I chased is good with no violations.  So here's what I'm gonna do:  size the back up with some tight bond hide glue.  Let it dry overnight.  Put another thin layer of hide glue then put the skins on.  Put on several coats of True Oil....  Go out and have some fun... and see what happens!! ;)  I'll let you all know how it goes ;D  What do ya think?? ??? ???  Joe H 

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 08:26:41 pm »
                                               That sounds like a Good Plan Joe....have fun....... ;D
2024...We Will Overcome

Adam Keiper

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 01:23:46 am »
Sizing coats on fresh liquid hide glue (bottled variety) tack up in minutes, not hours.  Soak the skins while you size the bow.  Then dry the skins and size them.  When the glue begins to tack, you can add another coat to the bow and glue the skins on.  I like using liquid hide glue for snakeskin jobs better than Titebond.  Being the glue and skins are protiens, it grabs and bonds the skins much better initially which makes the process easier.  With Titebond, you have a slippery mess until the glue finally begins to set up.  The only problem with liquid hide glue is finding and having on hand FRESH liquid hide glue.  Check the expiration date printed somewhere on the bottle.  I've seen bottles on store shelves already that were past the expiration date.  If it doesn't tack between your fingers and begin making hairlike strings when you pull your fingers together and apart, it's old and won't set up or dry so well.  The shelf life is less than a year, I believe.

On the topic of strength, thin skins like copperheads offer virtually no protection.  I can't help but to think that tough, thick skins on the other hand have to provide some protection.  Less than rawhide certainly, but perhaps enough to keep a pin knot from popping a splinter or the like.