Author Topic: Testing arrows  (Read 2569 times)

old foul dude

Testing arrows
« on: April 01, 2009, 09:45:30 pm »
I assume that you folks who are making shoot and cane arrows with tied and glued stone or metal broadheads test each arrow before hunting with it. What do you shoot into that won't damage or distroy these arrows? I've just started building some out of wild rose and dogwood. It's a learning thing right now.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Testing arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:23:12 pm »
 No rocks in Florida. I shoot them in Orange Groves, All sand. I just shoot them and see how they fly.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 10:38:36 pm »
There is a fancy foam target that is designed for broadheads that can be purchased at most archery shops.  My brother-in-law has one and I've used it......it works well for steel broadheads.

My own personal favorite target for hunting arrows is a cardboard box stuffed with the kind of foam they use for cushions and such. It's about 1-1/2" thick and has a flat side and a bumpy side.  The foam stops arrows quickly but is very gentle on the arrow heads.  Doesn't work too good for barbed tips, though.  A big pile of dry, loose dirt probably works better.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 11:56:08 am »
soft hay bales work pretty good if there are no rocks baled up in them, try to get twine bales over wire bales.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 11:59:06 am »
I have a rubberized foam block I bought at a shoot that I shoot every arrow I make into. I wouldn't hunt with an arrow I didn't test shoot first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC