Author Topic: Splicing question? Pictures of "two face" Added....  (Read 7909 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Splicing question? Pictures of "two face" Added....
« on: April 03, 2009, 04:45:15 pm »
Any one ever try splicing a bow with the splice cut from back to belly instead of side to side? I'm going to try it, I have two bows with broken limbs and I'm going to try to splice the two good limbs together to make a good bow.....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:39:22 pm by Ryano »
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

bearbowman

Re: Splicing question?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 05:46:39 pm »
I have never spliced a bow, but that to me seems risky.
You might want to consider laminating the front and back of the riser area with something.

Offline Ryano

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:17:34 pm »
I realy don't think it should matter since its spliced in a non-working handle area anyways....We're going to find out soon here anyways.... ;D

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:31:36 pm »
a buddy of mine did that..
he tells about when he first started making bows he spliced two axe or pick (can't remember which) handles together that way. when he showed it to an experienced bowyer the fellow commented that he had spliced 'em "backerds" (backwards to us more educated folks)
seems like he showed me that bow a while back.

glued together with Resorcinol by the way.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Ryano

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 06:44:11 pm »
Thanks Sonny. I used urac, one limb will be apple and the other will be vine maple. Should be interesting if it holds.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 07:32:43 pm »
I did one that way but I don't think it is nearly as strong. If you think about it if you do the splice that way when you pull the bow the forces are pulling in such a way that it could pull the wood apart following the grain. Doing it the other way it is all shearing force on the glue and wood. It worked ok on my one bow but it was only a 40# osage bow. I don't know if I explained it very good maybe someone else could do better.
SW Utah

Offline Pennhawk

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 07:47:08 pm »
Hey frankenbow, why don't you just put a takedown sleeve on it.

Aosda

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:02:22 pm »
How about a three piece, like the two piece LB except you put each limb into the handle.  Probably didn't explain that well, but oh well.

Offline Ryano

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:53:01 pm »
Thanks guys, its already glued.  Not really worth a set of take down sleeves...I'm just screwing around. It only took me 10 minutes to cut and splice it and costed me nothing but a couple ounces off glue.  We will see if it holds or not. I might add some sort of twine wrapped handle or maybe raw hide for extra strength.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 12:48:59 am »
Ryan, I think the vertical cut splices would be stronger in that they would be less apt to bend. A horizontal splice has it's strength across the splice. If the handle area is thick enough it probably doesn't matter.    That might be a way to make a bendy handle bow with a spliced handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 11:45:18 am »
I don't know Pat. Well it survived the first bracing and the tiller's not even to far off. The bottom apple limb is a little bit to strong and needs a couple of scrapes but here is how it looks so far.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Timo

Re: Splicing question? Pictures of "Franken bow" Added....
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 08:11:47 pm »
 I've been working on a new spliceing tech Ryan,and just the other day I was wondering if that would work.I figured one would have to overlay with something to hold the top of the splice from de-lam. maybe not?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 09:10:07 pm »
Good fro you, Ryan. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ryano

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 11:43:33 pm »
Thanks guys.
Timo, I fixed the tiller and shot it a while today. It may look kinda ugly but it shoots like a dream ! I was shooting three arrow groups at 15 yards all three arrows touching each other in the target. Even busted a nock...lol.  I don't see that splice coming apart any time soon. The bow is pretty stout to, about 55#@27" I'm thinking of cutting off the black walnut tip over lay off from the broken vine maple limb and re-attaching it to the new apple limb.  :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:11:29 am by Ryano »

Far East Archer

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 02:54:38 am »
If I may suggest, your suggestion of wrapping with cordage is good insurance, then cover with leather handle.
It wouldn't be noticeable at all ...and quite strong enough.

Btw, the bow is quite nice, great job!