Author Topic: New bow in progress!!( pics added)  (Read 6088 times)

whitewoodshunter

New bow in progress!!( pics added)
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:39:36 pm »
I received some maple lams in a trade. I also got some pre shaped horn nocks. I got an idea after seeing Robustus's recurve and lots of other recurves, I wanted to make one of my own.
This is my Idea a multi laminate recurve, of maple, a power lam riser, and a bamboo belly, horn nocks 54 inches,and 45-50# @ 27.I also might put a lite cloth backing on it

Sorry the pics aren't better . They are from a cell phone. I'll post better ones when iI get a new Usb cord. The bow is 54 ntn and pulls 45#@27
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:07:38 pm by whitewoodshunter »

whitewoodshunter

Re: New bow in progress!!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:47:24 pm »
Any one think this will turn out ok?I'm getting ready to do the glue up now. I'm going to use Urac 185.The bow will be severely deflexed and have big recurves.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:13:27 pm »
What are you going to use as a backing??

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:25:53 am »
Maple or bamboo for the back?  ??? It could work I'm sure if it was executed properly.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:29:04 am »
Oh I'm sorry the back and the belly will be thin bamboo, like the flooring, ground down to 1/16

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 10:08:09 am »
I've heard numerous reports on sidepressed bamboo flooring as backing. By far most bows have broken over time when this backing was used! I would highly recommend you to not use bamboo flooring as a backing. The fibers are too much violated, as are the nodes. The fibers slowly comes loose, until after quite some shots the backing suddenly gives.
Bamboo flooring backed bows tend to have a short lifespan.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Shooter_G22

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 10:33:41 am »
i say go for it...   you sure have turned out some awsome bows... soo if anybody, you can!!

post up some pics as you go huh..   ;)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 10:55:22 am »
Can't wait to see some pics, I am certain it will be a good medicine bow.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 01:21:03 pm »
Bamboo flooring isnt going to work for a backing and I've heard mixed results for people using it as a belly as well....You need raw boo.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 06:23:10 pm »
I have some raw boo that I used for the backing. The bow is all glued up and waiting to come out of the "mold".I decided not to use the linen, but instead dye the boo black with Rit dye.

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 09:29:53 pm »
Raw boo on the back....flooring makes a great belly material when drawn into reflex or when something like osage or ipe are used as a core lam. 

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 10:00:41 pm »
I got the bow out of the mold and trimmed it up. I'm tillering it right now. Not that it really needs much. It's pulling about 35 #@22 right now. I stopped in the tillering to glue on the horn tips. It looks good so far. I'll post some pics as soon as I get a new USB cord.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 11:26:10 pm »
I tryed boo flooring for the back with bad luck, like said above it makes excellent belly and core material if backed with raw boo.
VB

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 03:03:23 pm »
I got the bow tillered half way decent, and even shot it some, at half draw. I did most of the tillering from the side as the lams where already tapered.I did thin the boo belly some towards the recurves. But when shooting I noticed a " twang" noise when I released. It sounds like the string is hitting off the limb at about the middle of the recurve. The string I'm using has otter fur silencers on it so I don't think it a normal sound.The bow is braced at a bout 6.5 inches. Any idea what could be doing this?( I had lots of time to work on this bow the last couple days as I didn't have to go to work)

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 09:32:24 pm »
I padded the recurve with leather and it quieted the string slapping off the limb.I brushed up on the tiller, cut in the arrow shelf,shaped the grip, and did some sanding. I hope to use steel wool on it later and get a good coat of finish on it tonight.It pulls 45#@27.