Author Topic: Cherry Bow in progress  (Read 5420 times)

Aosda

Cherry Bow in progress
« on: April 09, 2009, 06:14:44 pm »
I'm working on my second bow, just got a very low brace on it, maybe 4" Back to string.  68" TtT, I'm shooting for about 45-50#, and still waiting on the silk for the backing. Right now it's pulling 37# @ 16" on the tree, and I need to go to 28".  Took 1/2" of set to each tip after unstringing.  Any Opinions??

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Cherry Bow in progress
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 06:27:46 pm »
The tiller is looking pretty good so far.   Just take it real slow and remember to round off those sharp edges.  What's the grain look like?  You mentioned silk backing so are there alot of runoffs or knots in the grain?  If so I would back it and round the edges before I went any farther.  But that's just my beginner's opinion.   ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 07:58:33 pm »
Looks OK so far. Next time you make a bow with a built up riser, try making your fades less abrupt. Taper them out over a couple of inches... they'll be less likely to cause a hinge, be more pleasing to the eye, and stronger.

Aosda

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:06:04 pm »
Yeah forgot to mention the handle.  That's just roughed out.  Going to take it down and fade in alot nicer.  Left it as is so that I can get a good seat on the tree.  Thanks for the input.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 08:09:51 pm »
OK. But next time, try making your handle a bit longer, and taper it over more length before you tiller.

Offline smokeu

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 12:00:40 am »
I think adb is probably right i made that mistake....
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 12:10:21 am »
What kind of Cherry is this?  I had a cherry fall down on my property here in Western Washington.  I saved a couple of staves out of it, but am not sure if the wild cherries around here are any good for bow making or not.  Are you out there Brian Melton?   :D  I am sure you have tried it.

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 09:56:02 am »
Black Cherry is a very toucy wood, tiller must be absolutely flawless, I personally think it has to have a very circular tiller, kept wide and flat and for
28" draw length at leats 68" long NTN which means 70" Tip to tip. Now if its some other type of cherry as, in pin, choke or sour I believe
those types are much tougher woods. Good luck and hope it works out.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Aosda

Cherry Bow in progress, I have a crack!!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 11:36:44 pm »
I've almost got the tillering finished. However I developed a small crack on the side of one limb coming from the back.  There was a small dent in the back from milling that I didn't get smoothed out enough.  The crack is barely noticable, and I wrapped it with silk and TBIII for now.  What would be recommended for wrapping the area to prevent a blow up?

nickf

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:13:35 am »
better get a length of silk over the whole back of the bow, cherry doesn't like tension.

Nick

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 01:12:49 pm »
Looks to me like you got some way funky grain ruff off on the edges of the limbs.....It don't look good. Grain selection is critical on board bows !
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Aosda

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 11:48:14 pm »
Ryano,
 The bow reminded me of that little fact today.  Split in a spot that I wasn't even expecting.  Luckily it was backed with silk, and cracked on a draw, so I may be able to save it(someday  :-\ ).  Oh well, on to the next one.  Unfortunately I'm in no supply of staves and the lumber yard closed on me today, have to wait to catch a ride later this week. 

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 03:33:19 pm »
Looks good so far.  I have a love hate relationship with cherry.  I love how light it is, and how well a bow made with it shoots.  But hate the imperfections that hide in it.  Ive made some sweet shooter with it, but also have had lseveral bows not survive. 

Good luck.

Aosda

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 05:24:26 pm »
Burnie,

This one didn't survive.  I split in a spot I didn't expect it to.  It was a Cherry board not a stave, so it was touchy to begin with.  I'll post a picture of the break.

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 05:28:36 pm »
Sorry to hear that, but that is the glory of cherry.   Ive never had the opportunity to use a cherry stave, so I guess that is why ive had trouble with it as well.   Once you get one that shoots, you will like it.