Author Topic: a sorowfull kill...also my first  (Read 5886 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
a sorowfull kill...also my first
« on: April 18, 2009, 01:08:34 pm »
Well im proud of this, but in a sad way. my friend and i were out stump shooting the other day, and we came across a very hurt porcupine. it looks as if it was attacked by a yote or something. its legs and belly were laid right open. it saw us comming and managed to scramble up a tree. there was blood where it had climbed up and you could just tell it was hurtin. i always carry 1 broadhead in my quiver just in case, and im glad i had it today. i came around where i could get a shot at its belly/chest and released. it hit low and came out by his neck. it wasnt long before he came down, and by the time he hit the ground he was gone.

i wished this could have been under better circumstances, but this is how God set things up. its my official first kill with a selfbow. its special in a way because i am going to be making a buckskin shirt and wanted to put a quill wrapped medicine wheel on it. now i have the quills to do so. i also got some blood on my bow and quiver, that i wont be cleaning off. just for a reminder. my friend Josh was there too, i was there for his first bow kill which just seems right.

my shirt is going to be made from buckskin my grandmother procured, with a medicine wheel that is made from a gift from my first bow kill. kinda corny i know, but if anybody i figired you all would understand.

i havnt got pics of the porky, but i do have a pic of the arrow and a bag full of quills. even if it isnt enough quills to finish the job, fact of the matter is that they will be on there.

Phil

stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: a sorowfull kill...also my first
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:27:41 pm »
As worthy a kill as any!!! 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

davecrocket

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 01:42:31 pm »
According to the ancients the Porcupine was the very first archer on this earth!
Dave.

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 02:09:41 pm »
Don't be ashamed....in nature opportunities like that are a godsend to anyone, or anything.  you helped end its suffering and got a kill to your credit, as well as quills for your shirt.  That's how nature works!

Marietta, Georgia

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 02:24:51 pm »
well done brother, i killed one with a hatchet here in Penn, before, it couldnt up up and continued falling on it face. so i killed it, i wanted the hide and meat but dint know if it was diseased or not so i gave it up to the yoddlers and bobcats
Modern Day Tramp

Offline african man

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 04:07:58 pm »
That will be a very special shirt . You did the right thing . your first kill
Porcupines are good eating ... ;D

Chris ...  ;)
we all die but we all don't live

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 05:20:43 pm »
Good honorable kill brother,sometimes things happen how they were supposed to instead of how we planned it ;D and I can't wait to see the shirt.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 09:04:42 pm »
thanks for the words guys, it helps. im feelin better now. i knew you guys would understand.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 10:57:48 pm »
I am sure God gave the Porkie a job to do.....but all I can see that they do is destroy....they are the biggest destroyers of Tree that there is here in the Texas Panhandle....and I will kill anyone that I see....all they are good for is Girdling the Bark off a Tree and killing the whole Tree for a days worth of eating....Don't feel sorry....feel proud....because you most likely save a few Hundred Saplings and Trees if this Critter had lived............... They make a good Meal....thats for sure
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Cromm

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 05:39:59 am »
Sad tale, Great job and I cannot wait to see the shirt.......
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 07:56:57 am »
Don't know if you have Fishers in PA or not but they are about the only predator that will prey on Porcupines.
As for killing every one you see I disagree with that thinking Mike :o, if their damaging property yes take them out but if I run across one
in the woods I leave em alone as they are doing no harm and are part of a natural healthy ecosystem. As for them being good eating it depends what kind of trees they have been eating ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 09:42:39 am »
ive never seen a fisher cat alive here, but i have seen ones that guys have trapped.

and i have seen quite a few small trees chewed down over there, maybe this guy was the culprit!

Phil

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 11:19:43 am »
Well I will stand my Ground on this one....because here ....where Trees are at a minimum....and take forever to grow ...and having any on Your Property is a big plus....these little Destroyers have no purpose but to eradicate Trees.........and I will shoot....stomp....or run over any one I see....The Park Rangers and Game Wardens will ask You to kill eveyone that You seee here....thats how bad they are....they won't just eat on one tree....they go through a Grove....and kill every one...then move on when the Bark is Girdled and the Tree is doomed.....So I will Kill them....skin them....and eat them....cause when they Eat Hackberry and Elm....they are really Tasty........ ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 12:39:44 pm »
Phil you did the right thing,I have not seen a porcupine in my neck of the woods in 15 years. Blake
If you see crazy coming cross the street

Offline Traxx

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 06:05:37 pm »
Hey Blake!!!!
This is Todd Stedman.