Author Topic: Delaware Archaeology Site  (Read 5427 times)

Offline snedeker

Delaware Archaeology Site
« on: April 21, 2009, 03:12:27 pm »
A long time ago I posted that I was going to dig up a site in central Delaware (am an Archaeologist).  We are out now doing it.  We are finding a lot of ceramics from the period of 700 BC through AD 500 (early and middle Woodland cultural periods in eastern US).  With them we are find alot of "projectile point/knives" of a type called Rossville in the midatlatic - with a contracting stem, made of jasper or quartzite (mostly the latter). I include a pic.  The items are amongst many amorphous pits and hearth features, and a lot of the artifacts come from the features.   The location along the swampy margin of a river near a large stream tributary, and the setting is at the boundary of brackish/freshwater along the Delaware Bay.   One supposes aquatic resource collection was big endeavor.

These Rossville points are typical at sites in Delaware (and from Coastal Virginia up through New England) during the period in question.  However, usually they occur as a smaller percentage of the whole.

I seek the opinion of those familiar with projectile based hunting.  I have read a theory that the contracting stem was a hafting adaptation.  These are theorized to have been used on dart foreshafts (this is pre-bow  period in these parts).  the stem shape would allow the point to remain in the wound with the foreshaft falling out, increasing bloodflow for trailing.

This seems like a good theory, but it puzzles me why it would have come about in a period famous for the rise of a lot of other non-big game resources.   Seens like it would have made more sense in the whole time earlier.

If you are at a site doing a lot of fishing, crabbing, clamming, and crawdading, seems to me like you be more apot to be using a lot of short handle hafted knives for wood working of racks and what not.

Hmm

Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Delaware Archaeology Site
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 07:23:51 pm »
That's some very interesting stuff Dave! I don't dig, just pick up rocks to make my own - but don't let em lay if I see em either. Sounds like a good theory all the same. Keep us posted and updated on what you find and learn. Thanks..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 07:58:41 pm »
I'm no expert...so my observations are purely conjecture....but I read everything I can concerning ancient arrows (and other projectiles).

If you are at a site doing a lot of fishing, crabbing, clamming, and crawdading, seems to me like you be more apot to be using a lot of short handle hafted knives for wood working of racks and what not.

Well, if you've done some crabbing, clamming, and the like (I grew up in NH) then you know that the harvesting is tide-related.  If your site has no tides, then they might have been doing more hunting than fishing.  In any case, simple wooden tools and strong cordage is all that is needed for "aquatic resource collection".

I seek the opinion of those familiar with projectile based hunting.  I have read a theory that the contracting stem was a hafting adaptation.

In some cultures, the shape of the projectile points was influenced, at least in part, by spiritual symbolism.  For example, many cultures living near the sea made points that resemble the teeth of sharks.  In your case, the shape more closely resembles the shape of gar scales.  Point is: hafting considerations are only part of the story.

That said, a point with a contracting stem is very good at resisting impact shock.  The stem acts like a wedge and the binding actually gets tighter when force is applied to the tip.  The fact that the point might easily slide out of the hafting (when the dart or foreshaft is pulled out) is probably a drawback...not an advantage.  The users of the points you have were probably trying to pentrate something with a hard skin or tough covering.  Things like turtles, very furry creatures, or even enemy shields.

Which leads me to my last thought:  looking at just the hunting aspect leaves out one very big thing: WARFARE.  The site you are digging at seems to be very productive.  There would be many challengers to anyone who would try and set up a permanent residence in such a prized location.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:16:07 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 08:28:11 pm »
Oh yeah, what size are the points?

Also, I wish I had your job.  I remember digging for a little while at a friend's property and discovering some debitage....and man was I excited!  I can't imagine being able to find pottery, points, tools etc. :o
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 09:16:39 pm »
Interesting stuff, Dave. down here from that time period, we mostly have a few small stemmed points (Otarre Stemmed, Plott Stemmed) and a couple different styles of triangular concave-based points like the Yadkin and Garden Creek Triangular. There are also some Hopewellian influences starting to show up around the later part of that time frame  here. That Rossville looks fairly similar to the Morrow Mountain type 1 points that are found here, but they're from a Middle-Archaic context, about 5,000 BC or so. I always speculated that the contracting stem may have been designed for hafting in a cane shaft-I've tried it with replica Morrow Mountain points, and the stem fits snugly into the hollow of an atlatl dart-sized shaft of river cane. A few wraps of sinew tightens it down nicely. Keep us posted.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 12:48:01 am »
Hey Dave,

I worked in archaeology for a little while myself.  Those Rossville points are similar to the Morrow Mountain points here in GA.  I wonder if those were used as knives, because I've never seen any Morrow Mountains with any impact fractures indicating their use as atlatl points, though they could have been used in that way.  Not really sure, you can beat yourself up trying to figure out how they were used or what role they played.   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 02:59:18 pm »
Yes, the Morrow Mtn point is known from the Delmarva Peninsula too from the MIddle Archaic (4000BC). It has a little more pronounced stem. See pic

I suppose a knowledgable user could also short haft a Rossville for a knife with no trouble.   We will see in the analysis.

This part of my job is fun indeed, but these are high points between a lot of other crap, much of it not so fun.

I appreciate all your interest.  Thanks.  I will be keeping you posted.

Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline snedeker

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 05:10:47 pm »
Oh, and the Rossvilles are 35-40 mm

Dave

Tom B

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 07:05:30 pm »
Thanks for posting that