Author Topic: number 3 for me.  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
number 3 for me.
« on: April 22, 2009, 02:53:33 pm »
Well she isn't finished yet, probably bring it to the classic to finish her up.  66" NtN, 45# @28" Hickory board with Purpleheart riser. She took about 2 inches of set, which relaxes to about 1"  after unbraced for 30 minutes.  What advantages would there be for me to heat treat the belly?  I was also wanting to pull a little reflex into the limbs as I heat treat and then back the bow while reflexed with linen fabric and titebond II.   Any imput would be greatly appreciated.  Here are some pics and don't make fun of my tiller it's my 3rd bow.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: number 3 for me.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:15:19 pm »
Looks good. Congratulations. It's too late to add reflex. You've already been at full draw. I usually do that stuff after long string tillering. I don't know about heat treating. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline african man

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 03:49:20 pm »
as Jawge said "looks good"
Wish my third bow looked like that .... back in the day  :-\ ...

Chris ...  ;)
we all die but we all don't live

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:55:44 pm »
Good looking 3rd bow! i know roasting the belly will increase the draw slightly, but i believe this is partially because you drop the moisture content of the wood on the belly. hickory is notorious for absorbing moisture and heat treating the belly might only be temporary. if im wrong on this im sure someone with more experience will chime in (and they did. thank you for the correction :) ). hope this helps.

Dustin D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 05:01:02 am by DustinDees »
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 04:15:48 pm »
Belly tempering is a permanent thing,...and a good one at that
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 08:11:54 pm »
You can still reflex and temper the belly. It will still work. Maybe not as well as if you had done it in the early stages of tillering but it will still help. What did you glue the handle on with? Be careful if your using heat near the glue joint. Most wood glues will delaminate if you get them to hot. I'd brace it low just a couple inches backwards and oil the belly with some cooking oil then lightly roast the belly over the burner on your kitchen stove (electric preferably) Cook the wood slowly until the wood slightly changes color to a golden brown. Note this is not a good Idea if you have much grain run off on the belly of the bow it can pull apart the wood at the grain violations.....but if its sanded really smooth and doesn't really have any severe grain violations you should be ok. Just go slow and see what happens. Your handle looks real nice I like the grain in that piece of purple heart.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 11:29:21 pm »
3rd bow? Looks real well done at that. Even got the "Jawge" hero shot pants on. ;D

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 12:41:49 am »
I would work on the tiller a little, in the picture on the tiller tree the right side looks like there are two hinges showing, one about 6 inches from the fade and the second past mid limb, I'd work before and after these spots to get rid of the hinges and that limb will be bending like the other.
VB

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 05:32:26 am »
Great looking bow,especially for you 3rd. Can't wait to see it live. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 10:28:21 am »
Well thanks everyone,

venisonburger:  I worked on the flat spot in between the two hinges you mentioned and it is not AS noticable anymore but I don't want to lose any more #'s in draw weight. They don't seem to be getting any worse yet so that's a plus.

Timo:  The pants are my Auburn sleep pants, LOL I was about to go to bed and I thought, " I really need a full draw pic"  so I just kinda stumbled back to my living room with my camera phone and put it on auto timer and snapped the shot. Didn't realize till i was posting the pic I was in my pj's.   :(

Ryano: Thanks for the info on heat tempering the belly.  I bought a heat gun from Harbor Freight that I am gonna use for that.  How long do i need to wait for the moisture content to re-balance before I brace it and shoot it again?  I heard if you do it too soon, you can snap a limb off because it lowers the moisture content so much?

Pappy:  Yep can't wait for the Classic, looking forward to meeting everyone and really learning how to make bows.

Jawge:  thanks for the compliment!  Really love your site, taught me alot.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 12:24:05 pm »
Great bow and even greater handle. Took some time and patience to create that. You're going to love the Classic! We'll look at your bow next week for self bow of the month fun.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 05:22:14 pm »
24 hours to be safe but I'm not sure its necessary with hickory.  Also do a little exercising the limbs on the tiller tree with a long string and make any necessary adjustments before you brace it after the heat treating.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 11:14:45 pm »
 Looking very good. And some great advice already given. Can't wait to see her finished up. that handle is going to be beautiful.