Author Topic: 1st Osage bow by Johnathan Adams  (Read 7265 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
1st Osage bow by Johnathan Adams
« on: April 24, 2009, 12:05:29 am »
This bow was made by a new friend of mine, his name is Johnathan. I met him in January threw a mutual friend. (Outbackbob48)
Johnathan had seen the osage self bow that I helped Bob make last winter and decided he had to have one of his own. Well he knew where there was a few osage tree's not far from his house and he went and got the land owners permission to cut one. He brought me a pile of staves that he a Bob had split out of the log he cut, but they were all pretty rough. Thin growth rings, lots of knots and limbs and about as twisty and gnarly a log as I've ever seen. On top of all that the log had no sapwood at all just heart wood which really puzzled me. I've never seen that before and may never again.  Anyways to make a long story short I picked out the best looking piece of wood he had and helped him lay out the shape of a bow on it.  This was a far cry from a good selection for a beginner to learn on. It had about three different planes to the limbs a natural set back handle area with punky knots, deflexed limbs with a big dog leg side bend on one side. Some how he managed to chase a ring on the bow even with the paper thin rings. I told him we'd get a shooter out of it but I wasn't expecting much. Anyways He brought it over to the house after he had it roughed out and floor tillered and we strapped it to my form which reflexes and straightens at the same time. With a heat gun we slowly worked every thing into place and to my surprise it came off the form straight and holding all the reflex off the form. This piece of wood held every bit of heat correction we put to it. It didn't even spring back at all off the form.....what a weird piece of wood...? Any how I'll get to the point. I'm very impressed with the job he did on this bow, he is very artistic and he's hooked on bow making hard now. Watch out for this guy, boys. I expect great things from him......Congrats on a beautiful first bow Johnathan!  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: 1st Osage bow by Johnathan Adams
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 12:07:07 am »
Oh, I almost forgot the spec's. It's 64"ntn and draws 57#@28"
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 12:22:37 am »
Thats a great looking bow. bang up job for a first. Tell him "enjoy the new addiction". ;D

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 12:26:04 am »
I wish my first one looked half that good. Great job on that one!!

Offline sulphur

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 01:28:30 am »
i love a good set back handle.  thats an awesome bow.  i recently got one of my buddies ready for bow building. let him see my set up and tools and then gave him a good hackberry stave.  i'll make him post it when he gets done.  great job jonathan!!!

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 05:45:16 am »
Fine looking first. Heck that looks good for a tenth bow.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 06:13:00 am »
Great looking bow,for a first that is awesome.  :) Good guidance helps. :) Congrats on that one
Johnathan.I know you are proud of it .Nice art work also. :)
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 07:19:22 am »
Well done Jonathan :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 07:22:42 am »
Well done.  A new talent has arrived for sure

Offline Timo

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 07:57:16 am »
Well done, Looking forward to future bows Jonathan. ;)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 08:11:10 am »
Very, very nice for a first or even 50th bow! Way to pass it on Ryan! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

DCM

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 08:52:41 am »
Well it's a plumb humdinger.  Sometimes I think them knarly, unlikely staves make the best bows, if you can ride 'em down.  And you gotta tip yer hat to osage, seems like you can put just about any misshapen piece right with a little heat and patience.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 09:03:00 am »
Very nice regardless if it's the first or last. Congratulations on a fine bow!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 09:12:00 am »
nice!  can we see a pic of your form?
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 09:24:49 am »
Man, I hate guys like that! Osage is a good beginner wood in my opinion. If you put in the effort , it will reward you with something good. Nice one , Jonathan!