Author Topic: Hickory backing question  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Stonedog

Hickory backing question
« on: April 26, 2009, 08:28:16 pm »
OK...so I have 14 backings that I traded for....nice grain and perfect thickess too!

I noticed something about them today though.....

I went down and cut an ipe core to glue up this week....it came out perfect.

I picked thru my backings....finding one that I liked and mated it up......and come to find out that the backing is curved....

By curved I mean that when you hold it (like when it lays flat on the core) that it bows a bit to the right.....kind like this :    (

Now it it not nearly that bad....

So my thought was to clamp the end and middle.....and that last offending bit....force it straight and clamp it to the core for a few days....

Then when I glue up.....use my inner tubes....then a clamp in the offending end along with the inner tube to hold it straight while the glue cures....

I will be using URAC.
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Re: Hickory backing question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 08:33:36 pm »
Hmmm.......I would not "edge set" a backing.  That will come back to haunt you later. 

You might think about cutting the backing in half at the handle and laying the pieces on so they fit, and then fitting the junction at the handle and fitting an overlay on it. 

piper

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:37:26 pm »
Ahhh....good thinking!  Never thought to do that!  So easy too!

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:28:58 pm »
when you glue that thing up with the inner tubes just make sure it lines up.  if your using a hot box the heat will help the wood conform.   i would not worry about it to much.  hickory sucks up moisture like a sponge, likely that is the culprit.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 11:42:14 pm »
Piper's idea sounds like your best bet. Trying to straighten the backing by gluing it to the core is asking for a warped or twisted bow.
  I have noticed over the years that wood has to acclimatize to the area they are in for a while before sawing. Even then you will get some movement. This it where the difference between dry wood and cured wood is so evident. With well cured wood, movement like this isn't as likely.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 07:29:06 pm »
Just an update!

I did what Island Piper suggested....

Work liked a charm!

Small glue line at the center of the handle and that will be covered by the handle wrap!

THANKS PIPER!

-Aiel Saying