Author Topic: Help! Darn Thing Got Twisted  (Read 1534 times)

Maxwell

Help! Darn Thing Got Twisted
« on: April 27, 2009, 11:27:00 pm »
This is my first post. Been reading you gentlemen's posts for a couple of months and stand in awe of some of the work I've seen. Can't say quite as much about the dialog but its OK too... ;D
I got the bug real bad, or maybe real good - Is it weird to start to dream about wood!  :D Anyway, built my fifth bow - my first recurve with hickory, boo backing and thought it was a beauty until I shot it about 300 times this past weekend. The recurve on one limb pretty much disappeared and the limb started twisting. I think that the twist may be at a pin hole but really can't tell exactly where the thing starts. Maybe just bad tillering?

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to correct the twist. I already sorta finished it with some mini-wax poly. Should I take the finish off and try to straighten or ?? Any suggestions would be appreciated...... ??? Trying to attach pictures - don't know if it will work...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Help! Darn Thing Got Twisted
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:59:32 pm »
You've got too much bending coming out of the fade area. You need more bending mid limb on. The wood will always twist towards the weak side so remove wood from the other side to correct it. It happens. At least it shoots.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!