Author Topic: new to this  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Mike_H

new to this
« on: May 02, 2009, 10:44:44 am »
Ok, Hi.

I' done my research online and through this forum and can't find a damned thing.  I live in southern Maine, about 20 minutes north of Portland, and I have not found any natually accouring knappable stone around me.  Doesn anyone that live in the area know of any?  I'd love to get knapping ASAP.

Thanks.

Offline aaron

Re: new to this
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 12:19:25 pm »
it's gonna be hard to find anything easy to knap up there- quartz you could probly find but its so hard to work. I'd reccomend glass-like stone for learning. look for thick glass- go to thrift shops and look for thick glass dishes. if you know anyone who fuses glass you can make thick chunks in a glass kiln. I could possibly mail you some obsidian if you pay the postage on a few pounds. Theres a guy from NH on this site- george t. signs on as jawge- he might help you out.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 12:49:40 pm »
Hey Mike H, welcome aboard! aaron's right, glass is great for starters. I don't personally know of any knappables in that part of the country but you can find it for sale online.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 08:46:52 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome Cowboy.

I was really hoping to find a local source so I wouldn't have to spend any money on it.  But I guess it is enevitable.

I did find some quartz today at my in-laws.  Played with it a bit.  Seems like it could work but obsidian seems better though.

Thanks.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 09:07:19 pm »
grab up a bunch of beer bottles, flat wine bottles, canning jars, find a glass factory close by and go dumpster diving ( so to speak).  Also old toilet tanks work.  All of this is free inless youbuyu the beer. ;D

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 12:09:40 pm »
mike look up maine primitive skills school they have a branch in wells . tell them jamie told you to call em . they can help you find stuff. problem with maine is it has some tough rock. a lot of quartz and rhyolite.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct