Author Topic: Rabbit skin fletching  (Read 7525 times)

Offline broken arrow

Rabbit skin fletching
« on: May 07, 2009, 06:17:39 pm »

I traded in my' feathered headband ' for  'rabbit skin'

Let us all go back in history to a time when we as a species carried a spear  on a daily basis . We are hunter gatherers .  As hunter gatherers , we discovered  that our spears cast better when the tail of the spear had something attached to it.       It all happened one day , when I was waiting beside a deer trail .                   It was mid afternoon and I was sweating ,  having just climbed uphill through rock to get to the trail .           To cool down quickly , I removed my feathered  headband and tied it neatly on the tail of my spear and settled down to wait .

Only a few minutes had passed and much to my surprise , out steps two spike bucks from behind the corner of a  rock wall .   They are about 40 feet away but too far for my spear .   They are walking slowly and browsing the small shrubs and heading straight to my position about 20 feet off to the side of the same trail , and I have the wind in my favor.         30 feet ,  just 10 more feet , and I will throw my spear .   I flex my muscles and bring the spear back over my right shoulder and cast it at a spot on the lead buck as he walks broadside into my favorite range of 20 feet .

As the spear glides towards it's target I realize that my feathered headband is still attached to the tail of my spear but the spear  found it's mark and the buck stumbled , lurched forward ,and collapsed   on the trail.     Wow!  I thought ,  'that was a good shot' .   After field dressing the buck I tried throwing my spear again and again  with the head band still attached , and much to my surprise , my throwing was better than ever before .      I discussed this with the other hunters in camp that night and they all wanted to try the same thing .      We sure went through a lot of feathered headbands for awhile there, until another hunter tried strips of  rabbet skin  wrapped on to the tail of the spear with back sinew and hide glue ….. and fletching was born .

As modern day archers we can only imagine that the arrow would have come after the spear . The arrow had the added advantage of  experimentation by spear throwers . They learned that tying feathers and other materials on to the tail of the spear stabilized the side to side movement of the spear while the spear followed through on it's trajectory  .    Modern day arrows do not necessarily need feathers to stabilize their flight .   Thin strips of rabbet skin works well in place of  feathers and will spin the arrow to the left or to the right depending on how the rabbit skin is applied.

Cut the rabbit skin carefully so as not to remove any  fur .  With your finger apply  hide glue to one end of the strip and clamp it on with a clico clamp .  Saturate the arrow shaft with hide glue and pull  the strip of rabbit skin and spirally wind it onto the arrow shaft being careful not to get any hide glue on the rabbit fur and clico clamp this end down as well. When the hide glue has dried then move to the next piece of rabbit skin .With hide glue and back sinew wrap the rabbet skin at each end and paint with acrylics

Winston Mac Donald  aka  Broken Arrow

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Rabbit skin fletching
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 07:12:14 pm »
Interesting idea.  Looks like it'll work well in dry weather.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 04:25:17 am »
These are mini darts, about the size of arrows, with rabbit skin flu flus.

Steve in LV, NV

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:27:18 am »
The mini darts sure spark my interest. Can you tell me more about them and how you use them.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 11:46:29 am »
Quite a unique idea.  Good looking arrows.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:38:35 pm »
 That looks cool.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 01:41:54 pm »
The mini darts sure spark my interest. Can you tell me more about them and how you use them.

They are for use with an atlatl.  The atlatl shown in the picture ending up being too short so a made a longer one.  They are just for playing around.  They would have an effective range of only a few feet against only small animals.  Not massive enough for anything else.  Mostly tossed to a range of 10 yards, but if there is even a light breeze they are a danger to anyone down wind.

Steve in LV, NV

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 02:57:40 pm »
Those are nice pictures. Do you have a picture of the end of the atlati that holds the dart?

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 09:10:12 am »
Those are nice pictures. Do you have a picture of the end of the atlati that holds the dart?

It is show in several above, though not too close.  The spur is very sharp to fit in the tiny knock.
Steve in LV, NV

AKAPK

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 04:12:21 am »
Like the inventive  :)

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 02:11:11 pm »
Your Atlatl sure is interesting . Do you also throw the darts with a leather boot lace ? My son was telling me about that. Apparently the leather lace is loosly attached to the tail of the dart and cast with the long lace.

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 02:31:48 pm »
Hi Matt,
Re your questions on rabbit skin fletching . The strips are close to 3\16 inch and spirally applied.They shoot well. I can only imagine that rabbit skin would have been a traditional fletching material. They shoot well . Really different as they are totally quiet with no cock feather side. Thanks for asking about them

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 05:04:25 pm »
Your Atlatl sure is interesting . Do you also throw the darts with a leather boot lace ? My son was telling me about that. Apparently the leather lace is loosly attached to the tail of the dart and cast with the long lace.

Nope, but I have seen a couple of designs that might be what your are talking about.  Like a sling, the lever can be floppy and all different kinds of things can add drag to control you missile flight.  A couple of years ago, I made both an atlatl and dart out of old dried horseweed/mare's tail.  For fletcing I used some ripped up pieces of plastic grocery bag tied as a ribbon at the back.  Flew much better than without, but it was very loud.
Steve in LV, NV