Author Topic: Central Oregon Bowyers Gathering 2009  (Read 8231 times)

Offline Keenan

Central Oregon Bowyers Gathering 2009
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:54:52 am »
  May 15-17-09 Here we go!!! :o  Getting ready for round two. Last year was a blast and we all had a great time and made new friends and learned from one another. We are expecting an even better turnout this year.
The weather may not be 85 like last year but should still be pleasant. It's been mid 60s with occasional clouds and a light shower every other day or so, but for the most part the ground is dry and high desert like conditions. I went out there yesterday and it's was very nice and comfortable. I will update the weather forcast by Tuesday next week. And Dave and I should be out there from Thursday through to Monday or Tuesday.
  I saw several small herds of deer on the way there so be carefull driving in.  Also found fresh elk tracks right in the field and where we set up shop last year. Also found a calf elk leg that I would assume was a cougar kill. Several quail ran across the meadow and saw one turkey on the way in. ;D
  Hear are a few pics from last year. Hope to see some more of you here this year.  I'm going back through trying to list everyone that needed a flier sent, so if I missed you please send me a PM and I will get that sent out.   Keenan

Offline deerhunter97370

Re: Central Oregon Bowyers Gathering 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 02:45:49 am »
Im already getting excited for Friday. Like the first day of hunting season. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 04:26:24 am »
 Glad to hear it Joel. The weather is warming up and should be mid 80s by Sunday. I went out this morning and got some things set up. Dave C.was already there with his tipi and later in the afternoon Dave H. and Mike from the Portland area showed up as well. Sounds like Gordon is rolling in tomarrow afternoon and a fair amount from the Bend area as well
  My wife bought me a tipi Via Dave C. (Juniper Junky). He had found it on craigslist and the guy had listed the poles only in the sale.  When I called on it, he said he still had the canvas and said there were a few small rips but nothing major.  We went and looked at it expecting to find old rotted canvas but were pleasantly surprised. ;D
  A few days ago my good friend Rob and I went and cut some poles and over the last two days I managed to get two of them pealed. Proved to be very difficult with the back scenario. Then today I was moved to tears as Dave C,  Mike and Dave H all dove in with draw knives, hatchets, and saws and got the poles prepped and helped set up my very first tipi ;D
  We laughed and talked about our addiction to this Primitive and seemingly simple way of life. Yet with great respect we all marvel at the skills that it surely must have taken to survive the brutal type of existence.
 Everything in me wanted to stay and spend the first night in my new home. Although I have stayed in Dave's tipi a few times, this has been a dream and desire for a long time to someday have one of my own. 
  With my back screaming from being up all day and my heart full of joy and excitement, I headed back home to help my wife and son get packed and to drive up with another load tomarrow. We will have our maiden voyage tomarrow night. My son is so excited he can hardly sleep.
  I will take as many pics as I can through the weekend and looking forward to seeing some of you out there.     Keenan

Offline Bryan_S

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 02:26:25 am »
Had a great time. Weather was perfect. I just need this heartburn to go away from dinner.  All protein and carbs for dinner. Who needs salad. It was really great to make new friends and learn some new skills. Thanks to all for making it such a great weekend.

AKA Landmine
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 08:15:22 pm by Bryan_S »
Can't eat the antlers

Offline Bryan_S

Can't eat the antlers

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 06:04:28 pm »
Just got home, Exhausted from all the fun and activities. Lots of pics and stories to come later.  To say it was a successfull event is an understatement. We had nine people make shootable bows from start to finish in just a few days  :o

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 07:01:37 pm »
Keenan, has it already happened? I might be able to make it but there is a lot going on right now.

Anyone doing a dacite or obsidian run anytime soon?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:05:06 pm »
David, yes you missed it big time ::) Great weekend.

Brian , great video of Blacktail, Glad to see it because that is the only madian shoot that I missed. ;) Glad you were able to make it and looking forward to some more great times together ;)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 09:43:29 pm »
Seems like I always miss it!  ;D Next year!

“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 11:13:26 pm »
hey bryan,thanks sooooo much for doing that...i showed it to my son and he got a big kick out of it...i hope to see you soon my friend..keenan,i had a BLAST this year..and i want to thank Dave and you for the help...the people are great and i cant believe that 9 bows where made...such a great blessing you,Dave,and Gordon did...cant wait to see the pics...just let us know where and when you are going to post them.john

Offline Bryan_S

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 12:52:38 am »
I told my dad about this weekend and the bow I made and he told me he has a drawknife and would like to me to build him one for black powder shoots.  I may see what other tools he may have.  ;)
Can't eat the antlers

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 12:57:19 am »
 Ok hear are some more pics of this years event.Though it is not near as big of an event as the Tenn Classic or some of the other events. It has some seriuos tallent and skill on hand to help new comers to get thier feet wet in the world of primitive archery. As I said befor we had nine bows completed to shooting, starting from scratch.
  But more then that we had an incredible family atmosphere that have made anyone feel as though they had been a part of the group for years. There was a good youth turn out as well.
 All these full draw pics were first time shots for the bows ;)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 01:10:17 am »
 Here are some more.

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 01:31:32 am »
This was an incredible adventure for me. And my first archery\bowyer event. I got to meet some great people that Ive looked up to on this site. Like Gordon, Keenan, and Juniper Junkie. These guys walked me though what was going to be a great bow. But while exercising it on the tree it exploded right be fore I had to head home on Sunday. But what I learned for three great bowyers over the weekend and getting to know people made it all worth it. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 10:41:44 am »
Joel, that was heartbreaking when your bow blew up. :(  it was nothing you did wrong, just a spot in the wood that was weak. enjoyed meeting you and was impressed with the way you stayed after it, you were the first to get started in the morning and the last to quit at night. What a great weekend!! if we only have one bow break out of ten made then we are ahead of the game, especially when using a variety of woods like we were. we had juniper, hazelnut, vine maple, and yew. looking forward to next year to get the long distance crown away from the wet siders >:( todd using his flight arrow and all... thanks to gordon and john for all thier help and instruction with the youngsters, and especially to Keenan for dragging his workbenches and tools out. thanks for posting the pics, havent got mine loaded yet. good weather, great food, and better friends, what more can a person ask for.