Author Topic: Sexy Mocs Finished...  (Read 10519 times)

Offline Talonzz

Sexy Mocs Finished...
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:30:03 pm »
My wife and just got into the Renaissance Festival thing and last year we decided to go in full garb.
While shopping online for period clothing my wife found some Moccasins similar to what I have pictured below. She wanted them so bad...
and I wanted her to have them... but they wanted $250 for a pair of them. No way we could afford that... I kept looking at them and
thought I could make them myself for about $12 and a couple of hours of my time.  I was right...  Wasn't I?  What do you all think of the
Prototype?

The front lace will be changed to a thicker leather lace and I need to make a few final tweeks but my wife loves them... I can't get her to take them off...
Quote: "They are better than barefoot!!!  The Leather is like Butter!!!"

I finally talked her into a pair of these out of the Elk leather.  I finished them last night.
Here are a few pics...   She says she loves them...

I made some adjustments to the pattern since the prototype. I shortened up the "Rosette" (Toe) Tabs a bit. Made the side scallop cuts a bit shallower and made the tabs more uniform.  Now that I have the pattern down, this pair only took me a few hours to make. This includes hand cutting the matching lace from a couple of scrap pieces of leather.
Now we just need to decide if we want to put any kind of a sole on them or not.

**I have created a Build-Along for these Mocs if anyone is interested just message me and I'll email you the PDF**
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:41:41 am by Talonzz »
Nobody Ever got Anywhere by Being Content...
Central Minnesota

Offline n2everythg

Re: Sexy Mocs Prototype Finished...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 10:14:23 am »
wow those are cool. Nice job. Like the design. where did you find the pattern?
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline boo

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 10:17:20 am »
 Those are the cats meow. Great work
Boo

Offline Talonzz

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 10:53:09 am »
N2: I studied the pictures of the originals that my wife found online and, thru trial and error, came up with my own pattern that works.
One piece of leather, other than the lacing, and no sewing.
I put a gel arch support/insole inside too.

Boo & N2: Thanks for the Kudos.

I made these out of some deer leather. My wife loves it (It's sooo soft... mmm) and I think it's way too thin. I just ordered some Chocolate Brown Elk Leather (Moc Weight) from Moscow Hide and Fur to make the "Real" pair for her.  I was up late last night, after I posted the pics, making adjustment to the pattern. I've shortened the toe tabs (Rosette) to reveal a bit more skin ;) and shortened up the cuts between side tabs coming up the leg.

I'll post again once I finish the real thing... 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 11:32:06 am by Talonzz »
Central Minnesota

Offline Cromm

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 12:59:28 pm »
Cool....
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 03:31:20 pm »
HEy man those are AWESOME!!  Very cool, and you saved a bunch of money to boot!  Can't beat that.  I really like the design and how you put them together, especially with the fact that there was NO SEWING!  I know sewing leather footwear can be a challenge; my dad made me some moccasins and they are great, but it required a lot of tweaking of the pattern to get them to fit just right.  Then one time I wore them right after a rain, they got soaked, and they not only twisted but they suddenly lengthened and I had almost 2 inches of extra leather where my toes were!  My dad had to cut off the excess and then re-sew them.  But they are awesome now.  I hunted with them in Oregon several years ago, covered miles of rugged country and they held up great.  They are the quietest type of footwear there is, plus you can feel what's under your feet.  That way you can adjust your weight placement to avoid snapping twigs and giving away your position.  That's why I hate wearing hunting boots...you might as well just wear clown shoes.  If you want to be able to stalk like a ghost, then moccasins are what you need. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Talonzz

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 03:44:00 pm »
Thanks alot Cromm & Billy  ;D

I completely agree with you about the mocs for hunting...  As soon as I get these finished for my wife I'm going to start working on a pair of stalkers for myself... Those will require sewing, Luckily my Mom O:) was a seamstress and I learned alot from her just by watching. I'll post pics as soon as I get a Prototype of those in the works. I'm going to make mine out of Buffalo hide (the stuff my wife is standing on in the pics above) and Elk. I might do a little natural trimming with some of that Chocolate Deer Leather too.
Central Minnesota

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 04:57:44 pm »
Those are great You did a great job. Always a sense of pride knowing you did it yourself. Congrats Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 06:14:09 pm »
.yup we might just have to work on a trade for a pair of them for my wife for the same reason.
they are SEXY,oh ya the ren fest too
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Talonzz

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 12:05:46 am »
Thanks Stoker and Sailordad...

Tim: I just sent you a PM
Central Minnesota

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 03:13:17 pm »
 Nice !  Could you just sew another layer of heavier leather to the bottom of those moc's so the soles last ?  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Talonzz

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 06:11:51 pm »
Fish: Thanks and, Yes, I could sew another layer on to them but I'm more worried about the thin deer leather stretching out so much that they no longer fit half way thru the day at the Renaissance Festival.  ::)   My wife would cry  :'( 

I just got laid off on Thursday so I had to cancel the Chocolate Elk Leather for the "Real" pair of mocs. I've moved on to my stalkers since I already have the leather here for them. I'll post my progress. Who knows... maybe I'll be able to talk her into a pair out of the colors I already have here... Who says the shoes have to match the belt?  ::)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:52:25 am by Talonzz »
Central Minnesota

Offline Scowler

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 10:36:14 am »
Pretty sweet looking.

Offline Talonzz

Re: Sexy Mocs Finished...
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 02:19:43 pm »
NEW Photos added to first post
Central Minnesota

Cherokee

Re: Sexy Mocs Finished...
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 10:39:25 am »
You really have some mad skills in the primitive handiwork dear husband.  Thank you for all the late nights you put in to making these for me.  I LOVE THEM!!!!