Author Topic: Help with crack at worm hole  (Read 1924 times)

Offline comebackshane

Help with crack at worm hole
« on: May 17, 2009, 06:16:46 pm »
This worm hole was filled with sawdust and tbIII. This is my first osage bow and I wasn't sure about the hole but since this was the only osage stave that I have I decided to go ahead and try it.  The bow is basically finished except for handle, sealing and other cosmetic things. It is 55# @ 28.  Shoots nice but starting at the worm hole there is a very fine hairline crack that runs about 2 1/2 inches up toward the end of the bow.  The hole is 11 1/2 inches from the tip.  I didn't see the crack until final sanding and it filled with dust then I could see it.  The work hole ran in the direction of the crack. Can this bow be saved?  I was thinking of glueing a deer rawhide patch and then wrapping with thread soaked in superglue.  I would love to save this one and would love to hear any opinions y'all have.   
http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv117/comebackshane_album/100_1617.jpg
Thanks
Shane

Offline smokeu

Re: Help with crack at worm hole
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:49:20 pm »
You could wrap it with sinew.  Would like to see some full draw pics, and braced.

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:20:30 am »
Shane, I think I would warm the bow a bit and squeeze some super glue in the crack. You may have to do it a couple of times to fill the voids then wrap the limb at the beginning of the crack at the hole.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:22:49 am »
That crack doesn't seem to be heading for an edge of the limb.  Unless it gets bigger and bigger, you should be fine.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 08:39:09 am »
If it was only a crack and not a worm hole involved, I would just fill with super glue and not worry about it. But with the worm hole, I would do like Pat suggested by filling with super glue and then wrap primarily the worm hole itself and maybe an inch or so either side of it. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline comebackshane

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 11:31:24 am »
Thanks guys, thats what I will do then.