Author Topic: Removing Cambian layer on Hickory  (Read 2551 times)

Offline bigcountry

Removing Cambian layer on Hickory
« on: May 18, 2009, 06:13:32 pm »
I harvested a hickory tree last October.  I knew it was a little late, but it was one of those deals of now or never.  So over the winter, I removed the bark on 4 staves.  I then removed the cambian layer to the white wood.  I was told this weekend by a bowyer, that I ruined those staves.  He told me I am supposed to leave all the cambian layer (brown stuff) on.  But I see folks with a camo look from removing parts of the cambian layer letting the whitewood show thru.

Did I ruin these staves or make them so they need backed?  I don't think I went thru the first ring of the whitewood.
Westminster, MD

Offline sailordad

Re: Removing Cambian layer on Hickory
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 06:42:03 pm »
if you didnt  violate the back it should need backing.
i have right now 2 hick staves with some cambium on and 2 with none
i dont believe it is detrimental to remove all of the cambium,usually on spring/summer cut wood it comes off with the bark
on winter cut wood its usually quit abit harder to remove the bark/cambium layers and i think thats why you will see some bows with it left on and others with out any at all
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:49:38 pm »
I'm tillering one right now that has no cambium and it's coming in fine around 50lbs. Very little set, up to now. Hope to shoot it in tonight.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:54:57 pm »
I'm tillering one right now that has no cambium and it's coming in fine around 50lbs. Very little set, up to now. Hope to shoot it in tonight.

did you harvest the tree in the winter?  I know you can remove the cambian and bark if harvested in deep summer.  But I cut these in the winter. 

I guess in my small mind, as long as I didn't violate the first whitewood growth ring, it should be fine.  Not sure why this bowyer says I ruined these.
Westminster, MD

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:11:07 pm »
if you didnt bite into a ring you didnt ruin them. leaving a little cambium is fine. too much camcium is useless. it'll eventually dry up and crack off . and the only thing that will do is scare the crap out of ya.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:51:42 pm »
Thanks guys.  I will proceed as normal then.
Westminster, MD

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 08:33:20 pm »
I have found that on Winter Hickory...if you can't get all of the Cambium off...leave it be ...it ain't hurting a damned thing ...and most of it will dry up before you finish the Bow....and during Tillering ...mine always pops off for me...but only if there is a good layer of it...if it is too thin it will stay...but then I like the Camo look of it anyways.....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome