Author Topic: beginner holmgaurd updated  (Read 4184 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

beginner holmgaurd updated
« on: May 20, 2009, 01:33:47 am »
hey everyone sorry i have not been on in a while i was busy with school. >:( they are giveing out to much home work. any way i got my first holmgaurd done earlier to day. here are some pics. think i would have a chance at bow of the month? thinking about putining it on.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline medicinewheel

Re: beginner holmgaurd updated
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 03:17:55 am »

Nice Holmy, tiller looks good!

... BUT I really would do something about these overlays!!!! The string preasure here is absolutely only and 100% right on your glueline and the string WILL cut in between overlay and back of bow!!!! I seriously believe this is VERY DANGEROUS!
What wood is it?? What the drwa weight??
Frank from Germany...

Aosda

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 04:13:11 am »
Well done, I agree with what Medicinewheel said.  Constant pressure on the glue line will eventually lead to a delamination.  One idea if you want to keep the overlays as is, is to utilize a pin nock style, if you still have enough wood at the tips.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:55:16 am »
Howdy Swedis,

Well, I really admire the Holmgaurd.  And, it looks as though you were being imaginative with those knocks / tip overlays - that's a good thing.

Perhaps, you could have spent a little more time thinking about your photos before posting them.  They don't put that terrific bow in the best light.

So, can you tell us about your bow? 
What type(s) of wood did you use?  What's the draw length, its over all length, and poundage?  How about providing a close up picture of the handle and fades, while providing some description....  And, is this a board bow?

Again, I really like the Holmy.  I think you were brave to try it, and it looks very good.  I would like to try one soon.

Homework is far more important, I hope you did well in school.

Thanks for sharing,
Canoe

Ok, I'm going outside now to start another bow.  This time, maybe I'll take a few pictures to share with the group.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:27:08 pm by Canoe »
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:30:47 am »
this is a red oak board i did with majsnuff he taught me quite a bit about how to build it. it has a drw lenght and poundage of 25#@25. just a fun shooting bow. the whole lenght is 72" nock to nock. the thing about the nocks. i understand what you are saying. but i rounded the edges and made a small grove in them sum what. it is very minonor. but i try that. the nock tips are brizilain walnut and the handle is black walnut with maple. it is a fast bow and light.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:50:43 am »
Gotta agree about the nock overlays but other than that it looks like you did a fine job on your bow :)

As for BOM that shouldn't be a cosideration as whether or not to post your bow, if ya win great if you don't its no big deal.
We enjoy looking at everyones bows not just BOM winners :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline smokeu

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 05:18:57 pm »
Good job man!! Great Bow.

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline John K

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 06:31:22 pm »
Good lookin bow you got there ! Listen to what the others said and have fun !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 07:51:04 pm »
look i got some better pics of the nocks so you really can see them this time.

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 05:55:31 am »
thats a nice piece of work. if you have more of that "brazilian walnut" it is better known on the boards as IPE and is excellent in compression under say some boo or hickory backing strip. i agree with the others, a little more insurance behind that overlay would be good, i think even adding sideknocks, if it doesnt mess up your intended look, would help keep stress off that glue line.  again good looking bow.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 11:08:14 am »
Stanley sent me this full draw:

When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 11:32:28 am »
nice bow. in the TBB's Tim Baker uses wedge type nocks on very narrow tips. he wraps from the narrow end of the wedge to just below the string position. for the wrap you could use anything from sinew to serving string. then put some super glue over the string and finish with whatever finish you used on the bow. that should add some protection against glue failure.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

radius

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 02:08:36 pm »
could throw a couple pegs through the overlays and tips, as well...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 07:01:07 am »
Nice looking bow,congrats on it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 10:33:25 am »
Nice looking bow.
If you see crazy coming cross the street