Author Topic: Jar lid bird point  (Read 3172 times)

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
Jar lid bird point
« on: May 22, 2009, 04:57:10 pm »
A few fellers have asked me about these ,so here they are. My kids are bigger so I don't have baby food jars anymore ,and I switched to other lids .You also need washers and duplex nails .

First I grind or file off the top head of the nail and punch or drill a hole in the center of the lid .Then I put the washer on from the ground end ,and the lid on top .I silver solder the two together in place .(silver solder will flow between the lid and washer )

Last I braze the lid to the nail from the front .

This point weighs 281 grains now .It will lose a bit when I trim the length of the nail .

Ralph

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
Re: Jar lid bird point
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 11:54:07 pm »
After sanding and scraping off most of the flux and scale ,it is down to 270 grains and ready to be painted.

Ralph

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 12:08:43 am »
Well dang ! Looks like south of the mason/dixon line idea ta me ......."Waste not want not ! "

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 12:34:16 pm »
Thanks

Then just paint them up however . I painted a flower on this one , maybe a bird will be confused .

Ya think the paint job un rednecked it a bit ?    ::)

Ralph

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:20:46 pm »
nope. still redneck  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:58:37 pm »
That's awesome!  I'll bet that flower painted on the lid will confuse the bird big time!  He'll be thinking "Wow, that a pretty flower....and it's coming toward me.  That makes things really easy...I'll just open my beak and the flower will go right into my... BOING!!!!!"

HAHAHAHA
Marietta, Georgia

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 11:39:50 pm »
yup. now i need to make one  and paint it like an acorn for these pesky squirls.  ::)
lets just shoot it

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 03:26:47 pm »
well done, thats very cool, so they would be for cane or bamboo so the nail slips in the shaft right?
Modern Day Tramp

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 10:16:28 pm »
Yeah ,I use em on cane arrows . I cut the nail off and taper it a bit to fit. I leave the nail just a tiny bit to big for the first inch or two of the cane . Then I sinew wrap the cane past that (between 2 and 3 inches down the shaft) and I whittle the last half inch of the shaft to a taper .Next I dry fit the point ,splitting the last inch or two of the cane .

Then I cut a few little notches in the nail so it will grab the inside of the cane. Now it's time to mount it .Put some  pine tar (or epoxy) on the nail and in the hole ,insert the point into the cane . And finally wrap it from the earlier sinew wrapping to the end with sinew and hide glue . Add pine tar and charcoal after a few days.

Ralph