Author Topic: heat treating red oak board (Bow Pics Added)  (Read 12310 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: heat treating red oak board
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 06:29:54 pm »
canoe

just do a littler research and learn to make your own strings
b50 dacron wokrs great,its inexpensive,easy to acquire and you can make more than one string for
about the same cost if you bought a string.
i never thought i would be able to make a string,but what do ya know.i make all my own strings now
heck i even made a little one from milkweed fibers,tough little bugger too
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: heat treating red oak board
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 10:24:08 am »
Thanks Jawge!!

It is kinda lifting a splinter on the back of the bow now. Made a sickening cracking sound while I was at full draw and now I have a micro splinter raising on the back.  I filled it with glue and now I am gonna linen back it.  Hopefully I can save this one.  It shoulda blown up along time ago as it has really thick early growth rings, almost the same size as the late growth rings.  And the riser popped off early on in the tillering process.  Had to glue that back on.  This is turning out to be the most challenging board I have ever worked before.  Hopefully I can get some finished pics up soon.  If it survives all of this that is.  Ohy well as someone much wiser than me once said:   "If you ain't breaking them you ain't making them."    :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: heat treating red oak board (Bow pics added)
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 02:30:17 pm »
I ended up backing it with bamboo and I put it on too thick.  My lower limb's belly collapsed and hinged right past mid-limb.   I harvested and hand-planed the bamboo, took like 3 hours and I sprung a few leaks on the sharp edges of the bamboo only to have the bow die on me.   :-[ Wish I woulda just used a linen backing on the bow as it would probably still be with us.  Oh well here are some pics of the bow before it died.  66"  NtN, 48# @ 28"        1 1/2 inches at fades straight taper to 1/2 inch tips.    Mild working recurve dry-heated into the tips.    :-[ :-[  Gonna miss this one.
First time w/ recurves and first time with pyramid design.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln