Author Topic: heat treating red oak board (Bow Pics Added)  (Read 12308 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
heat treating red oak board (Bow Pics Added)
« on: May 24, 2009, 12:37:53 pm »
I am working on a red oak board bow, pretty straight grained down the entire back of the bow, and I was wondering if I can recurve the last 6-8 inches of the tips into like 3-inches of reflex.  Has anyone ever done this with a heat gun before on red oak board?  I only want like 20 or 30 degrees of reflex  not the massive 90 degree recurves you usually see.  Will red oak board take dry heat without splintering?   Any and all help will be appreciated as I don't want to make firewood outta this peice even though I only have about 10 dollars total in the bow so far.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:57:44 pm by deftones3333 »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: heat treating red oak board
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 01:03:52 pm »
I have never attempted Dry Heat on a Kiln Dried Board before...I have always left extra thickness on the Tips....and boiled them for 30-45 minutes...then quickly clamp them in Your Jig...using a thin strip of tin or sheet metal as a backing on the Belly side.....and bend them to the desired Radius....the Strip if tin will help to keep from raising a splinter on the Belly Side...which is the Side that will be taking the Stress...hope that this helps....and I am sure you will be getting more advise also....... ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 01:38:02 pm »
thanks El!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 02:40:09 pm »
Well, I used the heat gun on the red oak to add a slight recurve into the tips and it is working so far.  I haven't done the other limb yet gonna leave it on the form for another hour or so.  I hope I didn't screw up too badly.  Oh well I only have like 4 hours in this bow so far so no big loss right?   :)

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 09:51:25 am »
Howdy Mr. Deftones,

OK...  Similar questions I just asked El Desructo, minutes ago, on another post... what is the radius on that form? 
I really like the way that looks - those gradual curves.  But, I am wondering how difficult it is to reproduce the same curve on the other limb?  Using heat, I'm thinking you would have to apply the same amount of heat in the same places on both limbs to get similar curves. (?)  I mean, if you apply more heat to one limb than the other, wouldn't the curve hold a little more in one limb?  And so, is there some way to go back and make adjustments in the curves after the bow comes out of the form?

Am I over thinking this process?  Should I just not worry about it so much and go ahead and try it?

And really... 
I know that I haven't posted any bows for you all to see.  But honestly, there is a small pile of nearly completed bows (Red Oak board bows and Ash staves) standing in the corner of my basement.  (And lately, I've been collecting materials for arrow building as well.)

Thanks for your help,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Josh

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:24:17 am »
I dont know the exact demensions of my form I just took a 2x6 and a carpenter's pencil and free handed it. (If you look closely you can see my stray marks)  :)  then cut it out with a jig saw.  I then did one limb at a time, heating them with my heat gun and letting the limb slowly fall into place onto the form as it heated up.  From the tips out as soon as it was close enough to the form I put a C-clamp in place to hold it down.  I then left it in place for an hour.  Then I repeated the process on the other limb.  They both came out pretty even, just use the same form for both limbs and you should be ok.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 12:32:35 pm »
Using heat, I'm thinking you would have to apply the same amount of heat in the same places on both limbs to get similar curves. (?)  I mean, if you apply more heat to one limb than the other, wouldn't the curve hold a little more in one limb?  And so, is there some way to go back and make adjustments in the curves after the bow comes out of the form?

Am I over thinking this process?  Should I just not worry about it so much and go ahead and try it?

Yep. You're making it more complicated than it is.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Aosda

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 12:55:31 am »
I have a Red Oak ruffed out that I was wanting to do the same thing to.  I'll have to scrouge through my wood stock to find a suitable board for the form.  Did you weight the other end as you heated, or just let it fall by itself?

Offline Josh

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 10:58:37 am »
I kinda pulled down a little, but I mainly let the weight of the bow do the bending.  You can definately tell when it is hot enough to bend.   I left it clamped for an hour and when I took it off the form some of the reflex relaxed out of the limb but I think that is normal.  So just make sure you compensate for that.  Mine worked great it retained all of the curve I wanted in the limbs (which was just a little bit)  even after full brace and full draw and shooting it in.   :)  I will post pictures after I sand, stain and decorate it. 

nickf

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 12:02:44 pm »
that's a real nice form. Nick

Offline Josh

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 12:34:57 pm »
thanks nick, took like 20 seconds to make.   :)

Aosda

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 11:53:11 pm »
20 seconds :o .  That's gonna take me more than half an hour.  I don't have any of the nice power toys, just a circular saw.  So it's all hand cutting for me.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 12:33:57 am »
WOW only 4 hours into the bow :o

takes me more than that just to lay out a profile that i like
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 03:52:14 pm »
Howdy Group,

So... I've drawn out and am ready to cut out a form.  With this form, I think I'll get (aprox.) the outer 7-1/2" reflexed - very similar to Deftones' form in the photo above (that I tried to copy).  But, on my form, I also put a little, gradual deflex in it.   I hope that's not going to be a problem?  I haven't tried it yet.  So, if you think I'm heading in the wrong direction with this, please let me know. 

And, I'm told that curved (R/D) limbs can be a real challenge to tiller.  So, I may have to actually post, the always-popular photo - for guidance.
(If or When I do get to that point, I'll start a new thread instead of budding in or crashing into other people's threads - sorry Deftone.)

One more question...  I will probably have to order my bow strings on line, since my local archery shop deals primarily with those things with wheels on 'em
(Yes, I used 'em for years but, I've seen the light - I've recovered, repented, and I'm all better now.)
Anyway, with all these curves in the limbs, how do I measure or figure out the bow string length?  I'm thinking the string length changes somewhat after R/D's are put in? 
(This maybe a pretty basic question but, right now, it seems like a good question.)

Thanks for your help,
Canoe
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 03:56:12 pm by Canoe »
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 03:57:21 pm »
deftones, pretty nice work there. Nice bend on that stave and with a heat gun too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!