Author Topic: Couple of arrow questions...  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
Couple of arrow questions...
« on: June 07, 2009, 09:32:21 am »
Howdy Group,

I'm just starting on my arrow making quest(s).  So, I have some basic questions that I couldn't find the answers to by searching around this P.A. site.

I know that Red Osier Dogwood is a very popular arrow making material
- Recently, I collected some Red Osier Dogwood that is "green," (last year's growth), and I'm wondering if that would be OK for arrow material? 

- Also, is there a rule of thumb to go by in choosing the size (diameter) of Red Osier Dogwood shoots for a given spine? 
- And, what about the diameters on other materials including; cherry shoots, Basswood(?), and pine board?   I'm looking for 40 to 50# spine.

Speaking of Basswood, I have pretty good access to this material.  I can simply collect all I want from the trees next to the street as I walk down the sidewalk in my neighborhood! 
- So, are Basswood shoots a good arrow making material? 
- And, how about choke cherry or wild cherry shoots / branches?

- Lastly, I saw a Biuld-Along for a Spine Tester Measuring Gauge here on P.A.  But, I can't find it now.  Does anyone have the link to it?

Thanks for helping me get on track with my new arrow making quest.  So far, I've collected about 18 potential arrows - mostly Red Osier Dogwood, plus four Red Oak dowels (3/8").  And I'm gathering materials for flint knapping.  (I'll be knapping broken glass.)

All the Best,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Couple of arrow questions...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:37:09 am »
Red osier makes excellent arrows. Cut them when the base is about 3/8" thick. I carry a 3/8" open wrench as a guide. You can pick larger ones and plane them down to size after they dry. You will have to do some planing anyhow.
   Be sure your shoots have had at least 2 growing seasons. Small branches replace the first year leaves in the second year. After the second growing season the shoots will make very good shafts. They will probably work with first year growth but will be light spined.
   I use the 3/8" rule for all shoot shafts. I've never tried basswood but it seems it would make a light arrow like willow does. Cherry shoots make good arrows but are hard for me to keep straight.
   Pine or poplar boards will make good arrows. Saw(or split) them into 3/8" square stock and remove the 4 corners with a plane...them remove the 8 corners, etc until you get the diameter shaft you want.
   I'll take a pic of my spine tester and post it later. Simple, homemade using scrap lumber and a dial indicator(cheap) from a mail order supply house.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 11:20:23 pm »
Canoe, This is my spine tester. The uprights on each end are 26" apart. I used skateboard bearings as rollers and one upright is adjustable for working with uneven shafting. The weight(large bolt) has a copper fitting on the hex head and to make the total weight 2# I added lead shot. The dial indicator came from Grizzly Products for about $20.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 03:43:14 pm »
The rule I use (for shoots) is 1/2" thick at the larger end with the bark on.  You can always remove wood if you have to but you can't put it back on.

Also, if it bends well when when green, it probably bends well when dry.  Just try breaking the shoots....you'll see right away which ones will make good arrows. I know, I know, breaking a good stick causes funny things like cardiac arrest, shell shock, and extreme feelings of guilt.  Just do it.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 07:52:51 pm »
Howdy Group,

Pat B and JackCrafty thank you both for your input.  (Pat, I got your P.M.)  I really like the idea of using skate board bearings to roll my arrows on while they're in the Spine Taster.

Hey, I found that link to the Spine Tester Build-Along;

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4589.0.html

And today, I tied up (bundled) all the arrows material (shoots and branches) for drying - I wrote the date and wood type on each stick.  I'm up to 26 possible arrow Shafts(?) now.  And, I have about four Red Oak dowels (3/8") that I have cut the string grooves into.

Fellas, thanks again for your guidance,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey