Author Topic: making bamboo backed bamboo bow, builld along  (Read 63701 times)

nickf

making bamboo backed bamboo bow, builld along
« on: May 30, 2009, 02:56:57 pm »
I got some great news, there's another beautyfull boo pole coming in! well, I wouldn't want to wast this premium quality for my first attempt at a BBB, so I decided to start right away with the less-perfect stuff I got.

A BBB is a pretty rare composite, though very attractive, and definately worth a try. So, why not make one?

I had this old Maple bow. 62" tall, overwide, tillered for 42#@26", but being drawn to over 29" already. It's a pretty much abused bow, but it would give me a nice and quick core. So, here's what I started with. The maple bow, a longer boo slat, and a pair of shorter slats (initially ment as belly and backing of a scaled down BBB). The bow already lost it’s handle wrap, so that’s why it’s a little lighter there.

Old bow braced

Old bow drawn

…okay, It’s a long time ago that I made it, … more than three years ago, I was almost 13. Now, it’s time to get rid of it! This is how it looked after a bit of work (softening the fades, narrowing the whole bow)

Backing finished (so far)

I put them together for a dryrun:

And now, glued together.

Belly slats after first tempering, not much colour yet:

hope you enjoyed this, I'll keep ya'll updated!!

Nick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: making bamboo backed bamboo bow, builld along
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 03:31:01 pm »
This is interesting. Looking forward to the completed bow and your thoughts on the process and the way it turned out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

nickf

Re: making bamboo backed bamboo bow, builld along
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 04:33:01 pm »
just got it off the 'form' and did some work on it. This is how it looked before some (neccesary!!) sanding

after...

well, I decided to string it. Wasn't too hard, but I was pretty much shocked by the result. In a bad way!

after some more work, unstrung and strung:

after a bit of work:

okay, that's it for the tillering.

the belly slats showed some difficluties. They didn't really want to bend around the fades, over the grip, and the belly became concave. I didn't want to loose too much weight, or get troubles when glueing, so I grabbed another ful length slat, and tempered it while it was clamped on the bow Not fully tempered yet, though.

the 'setup'

a little closer vieuws:

to be continued....