Author Topic: New Self Bowyer Looking for tips  (Read 2549 times)

osageobsession

New Self Bowyer Looking for tips
« on: June 01, 2009, 11:35:00 pm »
I picked up an osage log, 12" diameter that I found on the ground on a hunting trip in Kansas.  Wanted to make bows out of it so I bought a book and went at it.  I found lots of bug holes and cracks in this wood but got four 64" bows out of it so far.  Three have string follow.  Can I reflex them after they have been finished?  Give me some ideas.  Also just finished a take down from two billets, 64" 58#. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New Self Bowyer Looking for tips
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 12:06:19 am »
Generally set is caused by belly cells that have been crushed. Sometimes you can remove some with tempering but don't bet the ranch on it! ;D The osage was probably wet from laying on the ground and you didn't give it timer to dry before stressing it.
   Got any pics of your bows. You know, they are required! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:51:50 am »
How much set was caused? The stave could have been wet. Also, as you gain more experience set will decrease. You are better off to induce some reflex before the stave is at full draw. If you are happy with the bow then why do anything? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

nickf

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:29:05 am »
you can ofcourse give it some reflex by putting it in reflex and tempering it. It may help you a bit, first time I tried it (on a 62" hazel bow) I gained 12# and the 3" set went to 1/2" reflex. A week later I shot it, and the set increased to 1" after firts couple. Now, it's settling at 1 3/4" of set, drawing 10# more than before.

so yes, it worked for me. But it may be smart to induce the reflex initially, before (short string) tillering.

Nick

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 09:29:27 am »
How about some pictures.  How wide are the bows? How much string follow have they taken? What draw length? There are lots of things that can be effecting this. Are you sure the wood was dry? A 64" osage should not take much set at only 58# so there must be other issues.  If you sand the finish off you can probably heat treat them and take some of the string follow out. Understand that if there is damaged wood from a hinge or something, all the treatment in the world will not change that there is damage. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 09:37:20 am »
It appears you posted this question several places.  I answered it in another section before I realized it was here also. I merged the two topics so everyone could see the answers easier. If you have a question, just post it once and be patient. It doesn't matter so much where you post it, we will find it.  ;) There are hundreds of guys here willing to answer any questions you have. It may take a few minutes to get to it, but someone will. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

osageobsession

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 10:11:38 am »
First of all I am very new to the computer, I am still learning, please be patient.  Thank you very much for your input. I have attached several picture's.  In the picture of all five bows, first bow made to last bow made are left to right.  All bows are 1 1/2" wide.  Left to right first bow is 58# - 64", second bow 50# - 64", third bow 49# - 62", fourth bow 55# - 64" and fifth bow 60# - 64" and that one is a take down.  All lengths n to n and weights at 28" draw.  The log had a bend in it, I thought I would get some staves that were reflexed off one side so I started with the staves that had string follow in it. Cast on bows progressively got better 1-5.  You may notice some wrapping on bows 4 & 5 that is because of cracks  and bug holes that go through the limb back to belly. The staves got straighter as a split around the log to the reflex side, which I believe was on the ground because that side was rotten.  I was able to get some 36" billets out of it and made bow #5, the take down.   One billet was straight, the other had a bend or dog leg as you can see in the photo.  Wood seemed to be dry throughout and I dried it next to a wood stove in the house.  All bows have 100 plus shots since finished.  So hopefully this info. will help give you a better idea.  I think I have figured this out and am replying to all of you I placed a new post but I will delete that. Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 10:44:29 am »
How much set? Those are pretty well tillered bows. I think you are doing a great job. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline smokeu

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 10:52:22 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4791.0.html

Hey you might want to read this... I found this to be extremely informative especialy the last few posts.

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline snedeker

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 12:13:14 pm »
If all are tillering like the one in the full draw pic, I observe that you have too much bend near the handle and not enough in the middle of the limbs. This is causing your set.  Not bad though.  Next one, get it close to tiller, string it backwards and heat belly to induce reflex.  Then get limbs bending I suggested.

Dave