Author Topic: Additional Info. and pics. - New Bowyer  (Read 2154 times)

osageobsession

Additional Info. and pics. - New Bowyer
« on: June 02, 2009, 10:03:35 pm »
First of all I am very new to the computer, I am still learning, please be patient.  I guess the only way to get back to you all is by starting a new topic, correct me if I am wrong. Thank you very much for your input. I have attached several picture's.  In the picture of all five bows, first bow made to last bow made are left to right.  All bows are 1 1/2" wide.  Left to right first bow is 58# - 64", second bow 50# - 64", third bow 49# - 62", fourth bow 55# - 64" and fifth bow 60# - 64" and that one is a take down.  All lengths n to n and weights at 28" draw.  The log had a bend in it, I thought I would get some staves that were reflexed off one side so I started with the staves that had string follow in it. Cast on bows progressively got better 1-5.  You may notice some wrapping on bows 4 & 5 that is because of cracks  and bug holes that go through the limb back to belly. The staves got straighter as a split around the log to the reflex side, which I believe was on the ground because that side was rotten.  I was able to get some 36" billets out of it and made bow #5, the take down.   One billet was straight, the other had a bend or dog leg as you can see in the photo.  Wood seemed to be dry throughout and I dried it next to a wood stove in the house.  All bows have 100 plus shots since finished.  So hopefully this info. will help give you a better idea.  Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Additional Info. and pics. - New Bowyer
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:03:50 am »
Tiller looked good on the one you showed at brace and full draw. Looks like you got the most out of that log for sure. What type bows are they? Was the top limb longer on the bow you showed at brace? Looked like it is from the picture... :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:33:51 am »
Nice looking bows, looks like you have been buzy. Welcome aboard.    kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline smokeu

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:19:21 am »
Hey there and welcome... I think just about everyone at some point has to deal with set< I have a hickory experiment that could almost be left braced permanently...lol.  I think it has to do some with dryness, mass and design for the wood types. Its probably best to reflex before really getting started. Another cause it seems that overstressing the limbs during tillering also has some effect on ending set too. Though you may be able to successfully reduce some of it, I would leave them alone and enjoy them how they are. They are really nice bows!!!  Good Luck on your future endevors.

Mike
Longview, TEXAS