Author Topic: Black locust sapwood on young tree  (Read 1728 times)

Offline snedeker

Black locust sapwood on young tree
« on: June 03, 2009, 12:05:09 pm »
I have lots of experience with BL heartwood.  Has anyone else notice that BL growing in waste ares with topsoil scraped off, such as around a retention pond, has a generally different aspect than forest BL? It is thornier when young and looks more like Acacia, grows incredibly  fast.  I cut one down in such a setting two years ago, 4" in diameter debarked, over 1/4" think rings of sapwood and only 1 inch thucj area heartwood in center.  Even with that sapwood, the staves feel very heavy, and I was thinking about trying one designed like a white wood.  1 3/4" wide.   I made a sapling bow with rounded cross section of one just 1.5 inch diameter a couple years ago, all sapwood, and it was very sturdy.

I just finished a BL board static recurve, backed with hemp.  I guess I'll get some pics together.

Too much bowyering, slowing down on my writing. Must be spring fever

Dave

Offline snedeker

Re: Black locust sapwood on young tree
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:08:02 am »
Remeasured. Piece is actually 3.5 inches in diameter. in the 1 and 3/4" deep half split, the 3 sapwood rings (BL always has 3) take up 7/8" and the heartwood takes up 7/8 inch. So it is in line with your BL specs. Thanks.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 11:01:06 am »
Oh sure. Made lots with sapwood backs on saplings. The best scenario is a heartwood back. I've found that the closer you get to the heartwood the stronger the sapwood. Have fun. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline richpierce

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 11:07:51 am »
Love black locust.  What a great wood.  I have a couple staves that have been seasoning for 2-3 years now and am itching to start on them.