Author Topic: Opinions wanted on Stave...  (Read 6911 times)

Tombow

Opinions wanted on Stave...
« on: June 08, 2009, 09:19:15 am »
Elm (Texas) stave with a lot of reflex, very straight otherwise. Any suggestions? Has anyone made a heavily reflexed bow like this one will be? I'm a novice so any opinions welcomed.
Thanks much, Tom

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Opinions wanted on Stave...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:26:57 am »
Yes, but I haven't made many elm bows. Reflexed bows show a very high early draw weight. They store energy for longer periods so don't misread the stave's potential and think it is too heavy early on. They can be a challenge to tiller. The back will be under a lot of stress so make sure it is glass smooth with no ring violations. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:45:05 am »
Ditto on that. Be very careful on the back of the bow. Go slow with the tiller and exercise the limbs often.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:50:43 am »
Well I can tell you from Experience...You ain't going to get Texas Elm ...Glass Smooth....too many dips...waves...and stickers coming out of the Sap Wood to make it smooth without violating Rings

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Tombow

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 10:07:36 am »
Yes the elm is a challenge, but what the heck; just another piece of wood to break!
Thanks for the insights, I'll take my time with it and see what happens. I have a piece of property with some elm woods on it so there's a lot to work with.
Tom

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 10:34:26 am »
If that's cedar elm it will be very flexible and can handle the extra strain but, in my experience, it will need a backing to be safe (like sinew).  I've had a couple cedar elms blow on me in areas with weak spots. The wood looked fine.... and I removed the bark when the staves were freshly cut.  I'm still trying to figure out if the weak spots were caused by dry weather, fungus, or excessive strain during heat bending.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Tombow

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 03:03:07 pm »
Yes Jackcrafty, cedar elm (ulmus crassifolia). I've had them break at knots, mostly. This one has few small knots so hopefully that will not be the case. I'm gonna try it without backing & see what happens. I appreciate all the help from you journeymen.
Tom

Tombow

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 06:44:37 pm »
Oh, another thing I'm interested in is: I have much more trouble removing elm bark than splitting it!!!!
How about you guys?
Tom

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 07:08:58 pm »
i splie and elm limb i got from the neighbor,got the bark off each half as a whole piece.
its not the same type of elm that you have either,just plain ol american elm
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 09:35:44 pm »
Good point, El Destructo. Don't sand out the ripples. I was referring to nicks and marks put in by the bowyer. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Tombow

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 11:42:55 pm »
Thanks george, destructo, crafty, nugget, sailordad...this is a great board with fine members...
Tom

Offline smokeu

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 10:09:39 am »
What part of Texas are you in??
Longview, TEXAS

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 12:58:56 pm »
As far as cedar elm bark, I make sure to remove the bark right after I cut down the tree.  Of course, that probably doesn't help you if you've got some that has dried with the bark on.

Personally, since I don't have a spokeshave & vise combination, I use a disc sander to remove the bark on stubborn wood (like elm).  That might not help you either since not many people want to spend an hour removing bark from a stave.  Not that it takes me that long..... ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Tombow

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 03:49:31 pm »
I live in Ingleside, near Corpus Christi. I have some property near Woodsboro by the Mission River. Lots of Elm, Hackberry and Ousaiche.
Ouisache is my main target now. A few test bows show me that this is marvelously flexible and strong wood....just likes to twist when split Big Time!
Tom

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 06:18:59 pm »
nice looking stave,if you dont want to deal with all that reflex you could heat some of it out.
ifn you dont want to do that,you could just send that stave to me
that wood looks cool as all get up.
but i would try heating it out if i was you.
live and learn ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd