Author Topic: looking for staves  (Read 2459 times)

Offline rileyconcrete

looking for staves
« on: June 08, 2009, 11:28:57 pm »
My name is Tell.  I live up in Idaho and cant seem to find any bow staves.  I have built only one bow out of osage, and now I am looking for another stave to start a new bow.  I would like to try hickory or a wood close to it.  If any one has any staves they would like to sell please let me know. thank you.
Tell Riley

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: looking for staves
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 11:40:13 pm »
Check out the clasified section here and please suport our advertisers. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,6543.msg159821.html#new

You could also try to trade for a stave or two in the Trade section.  ;)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/board,18.0.html
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 11:52:57 pm »
Thanks Ryano I'll look into it!
Tell Riley

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:18:05 am »
 are you a hunter? i live in vancouver wa. it took me almost 2yr. to find my 1st yew stand. and when i did, around each tree i cut i had to sweep elk poo out of the way. my point is we live in a part of the USA that has yew wood. find some, cut it, and look for vinemaple,or some other white wood, which takes les time to dry, to keep you in staves. the NW has a huge amount of useable woods for bows. what a great way to scout,that is if you realy need an excuse to be out in Gods country ;D ;D

chuck

p.s.
 it takes a little more than just find,& cut. but thats what this site is for.
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 10:10:11 pm »
Chuck,

I am in southern Idaho, so we dont have much here but pine trees and sagebrush.  the only thing i can think of that might work would be chokecherry. Maybe?  I am not sure of yew, I grew up here and have never heard of it around here.  Yeah i do hunt, and usually am in pine trees, sagebrush and chaparal brush and thats about it.  thanks for the info though I sure appreciate it.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:18:25 pm »
  There has been a bow or two made out of choke cherry on here. They were real pretty bows. I just never saw any big enough when I lived in Colorodo. Don't you have Juniper down there?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 12:14:09 am »
Choke Cherry is a very forgiving bow wood.  One of the first bows I made was from a Choke Cherry sapling I tillered by working down the back.  I wouldn't recommend you copy that, but you can certainly make hunting weight bows out of it.  The Traditional Bowyer Bible 4 lists it as having a specific gravity of 0.65 which is close to oak or hard maple.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Hacksaw

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 06:10:03 pm »
Gary Davis has great staves and knows where to get you what you might be looking for if he doesn't have it. He is a great man and will unselfishly share his knowledge.
Hacksaw