Author Topic: Need rookie help!  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Need rookie help!
« on: June 10, 2009, 07:57:03 pm »
Am a knapper and not a bow builder.  Am trying to salvage a bow that I made in a James Parker class at this year's classic.  The glue let go half way up the handle.  The bow is a series of laminations and they seem to be OK.  I cut the handle off and replaced it with a curly maple handle and it looks like it will do the job.  I put red stag horn on the tips, but have not attempted to file in the string nocks. (Scary :-[) I made a tiller board like the one for sale in Three Rivers catalog and a tillering boot I saw in there too!  Now for the dumb questions I hope you will help me with!! ::) ::)  How do you know how long to make the string?  The bow is bamboo backed and I plan to put snake skins on it if it turns out OK.  The inside layer is IPE.  How much rounding should I do to keep the edges from splintering?  I wish I could post some pictures, but being old and PC illiterate I have had to have other people on the PA post pictures for me.  Thanks for the help and I hope you had a good laugh at my expense.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Aosda

Re: Need rookie help!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 08:18:02 pm »
If you're asking how long to make the tillering string, I would use a Bowline knot on the one end so that you can adjust the length throughout tillering.  Your Long String should just be able to fit over the tips without bending(IMO).  For bow string length, I'd say start with 3" shorter than your Nock to Nock length.  Hope that helps.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 08:45:57 pm »
Tavis:  Thanks, it's the bow string length you informed me about that I needed to know.  There should not be any tillering!  once the string is made I think if the weight is too strong it will have to be adjusted by taking material off the sides!!!??  Using the tillering boot just to flex the bow it seems to be fairly strong!  I hope to get 55 or more at 27"!  Joe

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 10:14:28 pm »
 Joe, I usually make mine 4"shorter than the N to N length. Maybe James or DavidD will weigh in on this, but those glue ups should be easy tillering by removeing wood from the sides. I like to file at an angle, towards the center of the back, trapping, that way it is easy to correct if you take too much off.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 07:35:53 am »
Eddie:  Did you finish your Parker Classic bow?  If I can get some nocks filed into this one and a string made, it looks to be a good bow.  The set from the glue up for the limbs looks OK!  Am thinking of using some polyurethane for the finish!  Joe

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 07:46:34 am »
 Didn't finish mine Joe. When I got home, it started seperating in places and the handle popped off. I guess the moisture was changing when I got out of the rain and back in the heat down here. And where the glue did hold, I couldn't get it apart.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 07:54:09 am »
I've heard of several that had problems with glue not holding on those bows during the Classic...and I remember James being concerned about that possibility because our hot box wasn't capable of the high temperatures necessary for curing laminate bows. At least that's what I was told.

Joe, I make my strings about 4" less then n to n length like Eddie said. You can of course tweak the length by twisting or untwisting the string to shorten or lengthen.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 09:45:07 am »
Greg:  I have a blue and white string you made for me at the classic.  It has one loop and a free end so if I can figure out how to make a loop I should be in business.  Looking at the trilam bow that Ryan posted it looks like I can round the edges some more!  If I can get the string made, will send a picture to your email if that is OK?  Like watching the progress on the triplets you fellows are making!  Joe

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 09:12:01 pm »
  Joe, Greg is right. I made fibreglass bows and surfboards for years. The moisture had a lot to do with it, no fault of Jame's. It was worth it to me just to learn the technique. I've always been interested in learning that from 30 some years in Japanese Martial Art. I need to make a Yumi, can't afford to buy one.

I hope yours is a shooter.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 11:39:30 pm »
Eddie:  Wish James Parker could see the bow now!  It must be pulling 60#s!  Have to take a little off one limb to get the tiller right.  Dyed the bamboo with leather dye and got a string on it this evening.  Will put the finish on it tomorrow with luck!  We have had rain and snow for 10 days in a row and that has let me stay in and work on the bow!  Never tried martial arts, but boxed in the Golden Gloves and wrestled in college and coached for many years.  Hope you get to come up and get that last turkey for your slam!  Joe

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 11:42:28 pm »
Hey Joe, looking forward to pics of your bow.  8)...and you say you aren't a bowyer. ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 06:25:07 am »
Can't wait to see it Joe,i have seen some of your other work and I am sure bows will be no
different.  :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 12:22:51 am »
Sounds like you got a handle on things Joe. Feel free to pm me and I'll give you my phone # if you need any help. I'll try my best.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 10:58:33 pm »
Ryan:  I am having some problems.  Don"t know how to post pictures so if you don't mind I can send you a couple of pictures by email?   Joe

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 08:33:58 am »
Joe, sorry for the late reply...was away from the computer for a few days at the Cloverdale, Indiana shoot. That blue and white string is a tillering string, that's why it is so long in order to handle various length bows. We tie timber-hitch knots when using a tillering string, don't know if I could describe how to make one without the visual to go along with it. Once you get the brace where you want it, probably many other knot types would work, and you could cut off the excess string. It will probably stretch some though, that was a new string. It's fine to send me an email anytime! I hope to work on my triplet bow some this weekend, it will have had a couple of weeks in the hotbox and has been heat-treated...

Sounds like you've got your bow corrected...that's great. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...