Author Topic: Help!!  (Read 1541 times)

Offline luis32

Help!!
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:07:17 pm »
Hello everybody,i been checking this awesome forum for a while and wanted to make a traditional bow but dont have the tools or wood,I asked my dad to help me out but he said no ,so I cant go to home depot to buy some wood(i cant drive,Im 14)so I was mad and decided to buy a compound bow i found on craiglist(a warthog magnum) I spend $20 on it ,now i have around $50 and i want to buy a bow blank or some wood to make a traditional bow does anybody knows a place where i can buy one for cheap,oh and something i was wondering is how do you guys hunt with primitives arrows i saw the hunting laws and regulations from the state I live in and it says:An arrowhead must have at least two blades and must be at least 7/8 inch wide at its widest point
Thanks in advance and I apologize for my bad english Im still learning it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 12:04:32 am »
luis, do you have a place to cut wood nearby. A bow is a simple tool. A stick with it's ends connected by a string that is shorter. From there, the sky is the limit! Start simple and prove to your Dad this is a viable interest. The principles are the same be it a "stick n string" or a custom made recurve or longbow.
   You can find bow wood in a neighbors brush pile or an unwanted landscape shrub or tree. A self bow is made from wood and any wood will make a bow if the proper design in followed for that particular piece of wood.
  A typical broadhead has two blades(minimum requirement); one down the right side and one down the left side angling to a point. A broadhead kills by causing massive hemorrhaging(bleeding). The wider the wound channel the more tissue damage and the more bleeding. Most hunters use broadheads of more than 7/8" wide(minimum requirement).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC