Author Topic: Anyone use an electric planer???  (Read 7076 times)

Offline smokeu

Anyone use an electric planer???
« on: June 13, 2009, 08:57:49 pm »
Does anyone use an electric planer? Or have an opinion on the use of one.  I cant afford a bandsaw, so i thought this would be a decent compromise to use for roughing out bows.

Any info would be great, and thanks as always!

>>>>------------------------------->

Mike Loe
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 11:31:19 pm by smokeu »
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Anyone use an electric planer???
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 09:25:45 pm »
Neither the planer or the bandsaw are good for floor tillering. They can be used for roughing out a stave or making laminates for a laminated bow though. The only power tool I would say is a floor tillering tool would be a belt sander. I don't really recommend that either. Power tools just remove wood too darn fast. That sounds like you can floor tiller a bow 3 times as fast, but it really means you can screw up a lot more wood 3 times as fast. Patience is a much more efficient tool than any power tool.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 09:33:19 pm »
A good wrasp or drawknife are a lot cheaper than a bandsaw too, or both :). I had to reply cause I liked that little arra you made on yer post ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 09:39:38 pm »
power tools are great for floor tillering,if you want to take a hunting weight bow and turn it into kids bow
hand tools and patience are your best bet for making bows from wood
besides  busy hands are happy hands ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline smokeu

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 09:40:12 pm »
thanks Cowboy,

I have a couple of rasps, a draw knife and a some other misc.  items. But i sont use the draw knife much becasue i dont have a workbench or anyplace to mount a vise. I was considering building a shaving horse. But i just got a carpenters vise table from lowes that im going to try out tommorow.
Longview, TEXAS

Offline smokeu

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 09:58:50 pm »
Thanks sailordad i was hesitant to even post this for fear of the dreaded power tool haters. I fully understand about the powertools. I much perfer the oldfashioned way of doing things, I have just been working myself to death lately. thanks for the advise

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 10:02:52 pm »
When I am Decrowning a Stave for a West Coast Paddle Bow....I will use my Power Planer...it works great for that ...and reducing a Stave......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 10:32:03 pm »
Like mentioned power tools are best for roughing out bows and if you are skilled you can cut it closer than when you aren't. Practice on cheep wood first.  Sometimes I will use the bench sander with 100+ grit along with scrapers when floor tillering on a long straight bellied bow, but I really consider it a hand tool since the scrapers are removing more wood at this point..

I will use the sander to get the bows close to bending with a 30 grit belt, and do so with serious concentration like that needed when your fingers are close to any power saw blades...

Having used both of your options extensively I'd get the bandsaw first , get some nice custom blades, and make friends with the best cabinetmaker around to help you if necessary.

Rich

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 11:03:50 pm »
I have a electric planer and joiner, and I wouldn't use either for floor tillering.  I do use both to smooth and thin bamboo however.  And use both for laminated bows.  But not for selfbows. 

I like a good quality ferriers rasp.
Westminster, MD

Offline smokeu

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 11:32:13 pm »
Ok i get it no floor tillering.... Geez ;)
Longview, TEXAS

nickf

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 06:56:29 am »
I do. Got a cheap FERM one, and I love it. Taken quite a bit of BBI's to floortillering stage with it, and after that, I used a normal plane.

A electical plane doesn't leave a smooth surface, And it's really quick, so you won't want to use it for tillering. But It's ideal for roughing out straight staves, and maybe even for a little floortillering.

I actually used it yesterday, to flatten the 'belly' sides of some staves. It safes lots of drawknifing, and you'll be able to draw the future outlines of the bow on the flattened surface.

Nick

Offline smokeu

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 01:42:49 pm »
Ok this has been one of the best tools i have ever bought!!!!!!!!!!   Wow what a time saver. Deffinatly could see the danger of this tool in unskilled hands.  It is a good time for me in my bow making progression however becasue i have sweated out and learned the hard way how to do things.  Thanks for the input very helpfull as always!!

Thanks

MIKE
Longview, TEXAS

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 02:17:57 pm »
Ok this has been one of the best tools i have ever bought!!!!!!!!!!   Wow what a time saver. Deffinatly could see the danger of this tool in unskilled hands.  It is a good time for me in my bow making progression however becasue i have sweated out and learned the hard way how to do things.  Thanks for the input very helpfull as always!!

Thanks

MIKE

Be careful if its one of those hand electric jobs.  I took off my fingerprints one day on two fingers grabbing it before the blades quit spinning. 
Westminster, MD

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 08:21:07 pm »
You can ruin, in 5 seconds with power tools, what it has taken you hours to accomplish.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 09:30:23 pm »
Electric planers. Aren't they intended for dimension lumber (rhetorical question)? I'm scared for some of you. Just be careful. I don't even use hand planes on bows because they did in depending on the grain and I must have 20 of them-never mind an electric plane. Yes, I do have one. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!