Author Topic: ? about maple backing  (Read 1882 times)

MAK

? about maple backing
« on: June 14, 2009, 01:56:36 pm »
How good is quatersawn hard maple backing?

Should it be thicker than 1/8"?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: ? about maple backing
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:28:16 pm »
                    Excellent for Backing Material ..... And 1/8 to 3/16 is plenty thick enough for most Bow Backings
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:27:58 pm »
As long as the grain runs horizontally, maple is awesome backing material. Actually, it's become my favourite. I've used it with osage, walnut, maple, jatoba, yew, and cherry. I was especially pleased with the maple backed cherry... it made an awesome flatbow. I do leave my backing strips 3/16" with maple, instead of the usual 1/8" with boo or hickory.

Offline Craig/Fl

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 08:07:07 pm »
Where's a fella find maple backing, all I've ever used is hickory and bamboo, sounds kinda interesting.
Craig

Offline NTProf

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 08:51:14 pm »
Mike, at Pine Hollow Longbows, sells maple backing strips, if you are not able to cut your own.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 01:09:00 am »
I cut my own.

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 11:04:24 pm »
8/4 boards aren't too hard to find with good grain. i buy flat sawn 8/4 & rip it down to quarter sawn strips. i run the strips over my upside down belt sander & clean them up a little with a palm sander. i've found the overall lumber quality much better in bigger dimensions. sometimes i even get a board nice enough to get a section with a chaseable ring for a selfbow.

Rob

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 01:00:29 am »
I do mine exactly the same. Plain sawn 8/4 boards with straight grain, rip 'em on edge, and you have a backing with straight longitudinal grain.