Author Topic: Better in compression?  (Read 2924 times)

MAK

Better in compression?
« on: June 15, 2009, 12:19:19 pm »
Which would do better behind bamboo, hickory or hard maple?

Offline DanaM

Re: Better in compression?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 12:20:49 pm »
Ipe or osage ;D

Hmmm I would say it would be a push between hickory or hard maple ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 12:28:54 pm »
I would go with the maple, my beloved hickory is very week in compression but very strong in tension.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

MAK

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 12:32:44 pm »
Ipe or osage are not an option for me. It's real difficult to get that here in MN uless I go through ebay. Don't want to do that.

The best woods I can get at the local lumber yard that I know folks have used with bamboo are, hickory, hard maple, black walnut, purpleheart, bubinga, jatoba.

I have often wondered if zebrawood, bloodwood, paduak, and wenge would work.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 01:07:34 pm »
I sent ya a PM with an offer MAK :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 01:16:55 pm »
Heat tempered hickory should be fine in compression. Untempered hickory was a go-to like osage for a long while before.

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 01:20:00 pm »
Heat tempered hickory should be fine in compression. Untempered hickory was a go-to like osage for a long while before.
Good point.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 01:49:13 pm »
I can't think of a worse compression wood than hickory. Hickory frets hickory. Use the hard maple. I've done a few hickory backed and bamboo backed maples and they came out pretty well. Also see if you can find a mill that saws black locust as it makes a great backed bow as well.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 04:38:24 pm »
I've done several hick backed maple, and they turned out very well.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 05:19:48 pm »
I have made several boo backed hickory bows without any problems in regard to the hickory being able to take the compression of the boo, even though it wasn't especially good  hickory, never tried maple ( would like to) .  Ipe is much better though!!!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 08:23:30 pm »
I can't think of a worse compression wood than hickory. Hickory frets hickory. Use the hard maple. I've done a few hickory backed and bamboo backed maples and they came out pretty well. Also see if you can find a mill that saws black locust as it makes a great backed bow as well.

Thank you!
I was beginning to think I was crazy for being so frustrated with my Hickory bows taking too much set.
It is very strong, though not in commpression.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 08:27:16 pm »
MAK I sent ya PM don't know ifin ya got it, but for the price of shipping I will send ya a piece of IPE :)

Manistique, MI

nickf

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 07:38:48 pm »
MAK, I'm working on a boo-maple-boo right at the moment. I glued the backing on the maple, and tillered it. It got massive set. Maple's a beautyfull wood, but hickory's sure denser. I've seen several excelent boo-backed hickory bows already, so that would be my choice.

I would recommend you to trap the boo though, since it's likely to overpower the belly of these whitewoods.

Nick

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 12:13:09 am »
I think heat-treating hickory would make it more brittle.

Bloodwood is a great belly wood.  Just make your bow limbs extra skinny, it doesn't take much of that heavy stuff to make weight.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO