Author Topic: Bow design  (Read 2002 times)

Offline swimbill

Bow design
« on: June 16, 2009, 09:35:20 am »
I have a 1" wide x 3/4" thick x 84" long piece of straight grained hickory board.  I was thinking it could be made into a lightweight D bow, what do all of you think, my experience is very limited. ??? ???

Offline DanaM

Re: Bow design
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 09:40:06 am »
Don't see a problem getting a 40-45# bow out of it, especially a D bow. Length of the
bow will be dictated by your draw length.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline swimbill

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:42:55 am »
my draw length on a bow like that is 29".  I have made 2 lingbows both are 70" should i stick with that length.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:58:26 am »
29" is a long draw I would start atleast at 70" and pike it if necessary. With a bendy handle bow I would think 66" or shorter may be achievable.
I would also back the board with linen or silk as insurance. At 1" wide you may only end up with 35-40lbs monitor the set closely and make sure you have it bending
evenly at all times as hickory can and will fret on the belly. Also with hickory you want it really dry.

Another option would be a english longbow design in the 72" range :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 10:06:04 am »
i think that would be safe. on page 52 of TBB2 there is a picture of a northeast Algonquin bow. its dimentions are 1" wide allong the entire length, 11/16" thick at the handle, 9/16" thick mid limb, and 3/8" thick at the tips. its 68" long, and is made of hickory. there are faces carved into the tips said to probably represent a "keeper of the game"

Dana, you posted just as i was going to, and ill add something to what you wrote, its been my expirence that hickory's performance is GREATLY improved if its heat treaded. and if you trap the back it will help the belly too. but it would be a good idea to back it with cloth or something if ya do that. I know Manny uses cotton cloth from wal-mart as a backing with good results.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline swimbill

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 10:34:37 am »
An English longbow design has intrigued me, what would the measurements be for a 72" ELB?  40-45# would be fine.  I could back it with a strip of Hickory or cloth either is available.

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:36:30 pm »
if you used a hickory backing strip you could glue in a little perry reflex, that would give you more poundage per amount of wood. as for the elb, you could have it full width 2/3 of the limb length, then taper down to 1/2" tips. have an even thickness taper from the handle, to the tips.
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Marvin Campbell

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 07:30:21 pm »
You could get a 68" non working handle bow in the 65lb. range if it is good hickory.

Ive got one that i have killed two deer with.