Author Topic: no arrowrest  (Read 3965 times)

misfitxnet

no arrowrest
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:42:56 pm »
Does anyone have any preference towards bows with arrowrests?
Is an English Longbow only considered an English Longbow if it has no arrow rest?

radius

Re: no arrowrest
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:57:05 pm »
Can't answer the question about english longbow style, but i sometimes shoot without an arrowrest. 

What i did, was add an arrow-PASS to the bow, so that i could shoot with consistency.  I made 2 bows like this, actually, but i made a big mistake with one of them:  I drilled too deeply into a SLIGHTLY bendy-handled bow.  It was my son's bow.  When he shot up 6 inches and his arms got longer, the drew the thing to his chin and it broke.  LOL

nobody got hurt...

but you could...

you could also just indicate a spot in some other way.  For example, my yew holmegaard (wherever it is!) had a knot in a place in the handle, where i was able to clean it out, fill it with epoxy, and use it as an arrow-pass...

wear thin gloves...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:47:54 pm »
A true English longbow would have no arrow rest-it's shot off the knuckle. I put leather glue-on or floppy rests on some of my bows, and some I shoot off the hand.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:52:23 pm »
  I make a lot of my bows with either a glue on rest or a cut in, center shot rest on the laminated bows. But I'm more accurate and love the simplicity of shooting off the knuckle. I just have to wear a glove to do it now. After an arrow came apart the skin is too sensitive.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 09:56:52 am »
Though I make almost all my bows fro shooting off the knuckle, I recently put a small leather shelf onto two I'm working on as they're both shorter than I'm used to and I figured I needed all the help I could get for accuracy. However, in taking the shorter one stumping yesterday, I realized that it also made shooting for spit a bit easier, as the sfot leather was already close to my hand, but if I moved it wouldn't need adjusting before I began to draw. Go figure :).

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 10:05:21 am »
I shoot both with an antler burr glued on for a rest. Make sure your fletching is smooth and tight to the shaft or you'll cut your knuckles, just ask El Destructo aka "bloody knuckles".

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Scowler

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 10:53:32 am »
I shoot bows both with and without shelves.  I find that I am a bit more accurate which bows that have shelves.  That being said I prefer to shoot without a shelf.  I love the history of the bow and shooting without a shelf seems to appeal to me more.